Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Door JKR Recon VS. waiting for a JLR.

2 Door JKR Recon VS. waiting for a JLR.

Im looking into get a, new to me, 2 door Jeep after not owning a Wrangler for about 2 years. I had a 94 Sahara YJ, my first vehicle and my daily for alomst 11 years. Then a had a TJR for a little over a year. I miss the confidence of being able to go any where and in any weather condition a wrangler gave me.

Realistically, I drive a lot of highway. But I do want a damn good weekend warrior. With my experiences with the YJ and TJR, I figured a any JL or JK would be a dream compared l to what I have had before?

I found a good deal locally on a 18 JKR 2 door Recon with only 12K miles. It's in very good shape and within my current budget.

I have test driven a few of JLR's and really enjoy them, but, at them moment, its out of my budget... Although, if I could, I would get a JLR.

So I would like some honest opinions on getting a JKR Recon now vs. waiting some time (year +?) and getting a JLR? I have also toyed with the idea of getting a a JL Sport. Although, I personally think the sports are bit skimpy for the price....

P.S. Thanks for being for being such a great community! I have meet total strangers that have beome friends because of Jeeps. I can tell you from frist hand experience, most other car enthusiasts communities are not even close to Jeep people.

I’m surprised that recon is that much cheaper. I would wait for a JL.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Definitely would not go with a Sport. So JLR>JKR>JLS.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I understand if you don't want to say what the price of the Recon is but it's hard to give decent advice without knowing the real details. I own a 17 JKR Recon I bought new in November of 17. I absolutely love it. Most of the Recons I've seen are really well equipped. In the Chicago area a loaded JLR is in the low to mid 50's. A loaded JLUR is pushing 60. If the price is discounted that much I'd go Recon but if the price isn't that much cheaper than JLR for the win.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

I would wait on the JLR. Earlier this year I was in the same debate on whether to go with a JKUR or a JLUR. I decided to spend the extra money (which honestly wasn’t that much more) and went with the JLUR. The upgrades and creature comforts make it worth it just by themselves. I would highly recommend it!

Quote Originally Posted by Arrcherr View Post
    I understand if you don't want to say what the price of the Recon is but it's hard to give decent advice without knowing the real details. I own a 17 JKR Recon I bought new in November of 17. I absolutely love it. Most of the Recons I've seen are really well equipped. In the Chicago area a loaded JLR is in the low to mid 50's. A loaded JLUR is pushing 60. If the price is discounted that much I'd go Recon but if the price isn't that much cheaper than JLR for the win.

It's around $36k for the JK, the way I would build a JL would be around $49-$51K. As well, the JK has every option.

Been Around the Block Bustedback's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr206 View Post
    It's around $36k for the JK, the way I would build a JL would be around $49-$51K. As well, the JK has every option.
    The JL has more convenience features and is more refined than the JK, plus the 8 speed automatic is a real game changer for on and off road capability.

That's only about 6 thousand less than a JKR Recon sticker price in 17'. Based on the recon's original price its not a big enough discount to make it an easy decision.

2 Door JKR Recon VS. waiting for a JLR.

Going with the JK would be an easy decision for me. You could modify and add a PR 44 with that price difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    Going with the JK would be an easy decision for me. You could modify and add a PR 44 with that price difference.

With the upgraded front axel the Recon comes with he probably wouldn't have to..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast