PR44 oil weep hole plug stripped? How can I get it out?

jorgelrod

Hooked
Looks like the guy how did the last fluid check on the PR44 stripped the 3/4 Allen hole and super tightened it, I can seem to be able to remove it, I'm going to order a new one tomorrow from Dynatrac but I'm wondering if anyone has ran into this issue and what have they done?

IMG_6596.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hammer a torx bit in. If you have quality easy outs / extractor they work great. If you have cheap ones like 50% success rate.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jorgelrod

Hooked
Take it back to that same shop and have them do another one.

Or take the cover off and drill it out.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Unfortunately I can't. The guy was shot and killed in a Carjacking gone bad 3 months back. I normally do this myself , but it was during winter and I don't have a garage so I took it there, definitely learned my lesson.

I'll try easy out taps after I get a new plug from Dynatrac, leaving it as is in case I fuck it up since this is my daily.

JKbrick

Unfortunately I can't. The guy was shot and killed in a Carjacking gone bad 3 months back. I normally do this myself , but it was during winter and I don't have a garage so I took it there, definitely learned my lesson.

I'll try easy out taps after I get a new plug from Dynatrac, leaving it as is in case I fuck it up since this is my daily.

Yikes, isn’t it warm in Florida in the winter still?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

The easy out would be my choice, but NOT a Harbor Freight or similar set. They will break off, and are a real bitch to drill through.

A good quality one that just fits, even if you have to drill a little, but not all the way in.

It also helps to hammer lightly on the easy out as you are turning it.

Primo82

Caught the Bug

Sure it was a carjacking or shitty service?

My vote is easy outs. I've had a lot of luck with them. Only time they did not work was a seized bolt on my woodstove. Years of heat and cold had that mofo fused. Easy out snapped off IN the bolt. If you are curious nothing will drill through an easy out, don't snap one off.... Spent about 10 hours with a dremel and diamond burrs to grind the easy out away. Then drilled the hole back out and chased the old threads with a tap.

jesse3638

Hooked
Sure it was a carjacking or shitty service?

My vote is easy outs. I've had a lot of luck with them. Only time they did not work was a seized bolt on my woodstove. Years of heat and cold had that mofo fused. Easy out snapped off IN the bolt. If you are curious nothing will drill through an easy out, don't snap one off.... Spent about 10 hours with a dremel and diamond burrs to grind the easy out away. Then drilled the hole back out and chased the old threads with a tap.

Did the same thing a couple weeks ago trying to change the license plate out on one of our work trucks. Quick few minute job right? Wrong! Snapped off one of the bolts trying to back it out out sheet metal witch I thought was odd. I drilled it out and put the extractor in and was turning then snap. I didn't think I had access behind the panel it was screwed to so I didn't try. One of the guys I work with decide to see if he could look and low and behold the SOB had a nut on the backside. The mechanic who changed out the license plate light decided it would be a good bolt to attach the ground to. I felt like an idiot after that one.

Jody Treadway

I would attempt to use a chisel to break it loose and then simply spin it out by hand.
Also, using a slightly larger Torx socket will work like a champ. I have had to do that on many transfer case fill/drain plugs over the years.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Did the same thing a couple weeks ago trying to change the license plate out on one of our work trucks. Quick few minute job right? Wrong! Snapped off one of the bolts trying to back it out out sheet metal witch I thought was odd. I drilled it out and put the extractor in and was turning then snap. I didn't think I had access behind the panel it was screwed to so I didn't try. One of the guys I work with decide to see if he could look and low and behold the SOB had a nut on the backside. The mechanic who changed out the license plate light decided it would be a good bolt to attach the ground to. I felt like an idiot after that one.

Lol, I wouldn't consider this your fault at all! What kind of mechanic thinks a license plate screw is a good place for a ground/nut!? Yea you don't change the license plates often. But when you do no one would expect a nut holding it on!

jesse3638

Hooked
Lol, I wouldn't consider this your fault at all! What kind of mechanic thinks a license plate screw is a good place for a ground/nut!? Yea you don't change the license plates often. But when you do no one would expect a nut holding it on!

Haha true it caught me by surprise. We tend to follow the old adage "Try before you pry". No need to force a door if it's unlocked and cause unnecessary damage....:crazyeyes:

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Haha true it caught me by surprise. We tend to follow the old adage "Try before you pry". No need to force a door if it's unlocked and cause unnecessary damage....:crazyeyes:

ROFL, that made me think of the time my brother's $1000 stereo got stolen out of his hoopty. His stereo was worth more than his car. He always parked in an off campus lot and rode the bus in for college. He intentionally left his car unlocked so if someone REALLY wanted to steal his stereo they wouldn't bash his windows in.

Did it work you may ask? Nope. Thieves busted in both his driver and passenger windows, ransacked the interior, ripped his dashboard up pulling the stereo out. No honor among thieves...

Jkratt

ROFL, that made me think of the time my brother's $1000 stereo got stolen out of his hoopty. His stereo was worth more than his car. He always parked in an off campus lot and rode the bus in for college. He intentionally left his car unlocked so if someone REALLY wanted to steal his stereo they wouldn't bash his windows in.

Did it work you may ask? Nope. Thieves busted in both his driver and passenger windows, ransacked the interior, ripped his dashboard up pulling the stereo out. No honor among thieves...

Most thieves are stupid as f..k. No place for them. They cause more damage than what the item was worth. I would rather meet them, give them the money for the stereo they are about to take from my jeep, that way no unnecessary damage, then hit them with a baseball bat and take my money back. :brows::brows:

Top Bottom