Tire wear and pull flightyness..

robx251

Caught the Bug
So I rotated my tires last week and have noticed that it had been a bit flighty and had a pull to the driver's side, figured it was a radial pull, but after inspection of my tires after a trip up the interstate today, I noticed a starve wear pattern. It doesn't seem like it's a bent axle c due to the heavier wear is on the outside of the tire and I would figure it to be on the inside.

It doesnt seem to be wearing the other front tire the same way, and it only started like i said after a rotation... photos of the wear.

Thoughts guys? 20190916_161450.jpg 20190916_161502.jpg 20190916_161510.jpg 20190916_161533.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Noble Woodsman

I would have your alignment and steering linkages checked. Judging by the wear pattern, the problem has been there for some time, and rotating the tires probably just made it more noticeable. Things to consider:

Is the starved pattern on both front tires or only one?

How many miles since the previous tire rotation before this one?

Is the tread more worn on the inboard or outboard edge of the tires?

Are you using wheel spacers?

TrailHunter

Hooked
I would have your alignment and steering linkages checked. Judging by the wear pattern, the problem has been there for some time, and rotating the tires probably just made it more noticeable. Things to consider:

Did you photoshop these pics?

Sorry, had to. [emoji51]

robx251

Caught the Bug

I am using spacers it had been 5k since my previous rotation.. the wear on the other tires was just normal wear for a mt doing pavement driving I have shaken the front down and it feels tight, and the wheel spacers have been on it for the life of the set of tires.

The tires are worn on the outside edge. Not indicative of a worn unit bearing or ball joints. Hence my confusion

jesse3638

Hooked
I'm not quite sure what you're referring to in your pics. The only thing I see is the center appears to be more worn than the shoulders. That is usually cause by running to high of air pressure. Mine are cupping which typically just compounds on it's self once it starts and can be cause by running incorrect air pressure, worn suspension or steering components, or excessive hard braking where the leading edge when braking wears faster than the training edge.

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
I'm not quite sure what you're referring to in your pics. The only thing I see is the center appears to be more worn than the shoulders. That is usually cause by running to high of air pressure. Mine are cupping which typically just compounds on it's self once it starts and can be cause by running incorrect air pressure, worn suspension or steering components, or excessive hard braking where the leading edge when braking wears faster than the training edge.

Looking at the pics again... it does appear to be more of a center wear. This weekend I was leaving for a quick road trip and I decided to check the tires... but I used one of my shitty gauges that doesn't show each pound and I ended up adding air to each tire... when I got on the freeway it felt flighty and pulled driver. It was perfect before so I knew I f'd up.... sure enough, when I checked it later with my digital ARB gauge I was 1.5lbs over on the passenger side and 2.5 over on the driver side. My point is, too much or too little pressure can make a big difference.

robx251

Caught the Bug
Looking at the pics again... it does appear to be more of a center wear. This weekend I was leaving for a quick road trip and I decided to check the tires... but I used one of my shitty gauges that doesn't show each pound and I ended up adding air to each tire... when I got on the freeway it felt flighty and pulled driver. It was perfect before so I knew I f'd up.... sure enough, when I checked it later with my digital ARB gauge I was 1.5lbs over on the passenger side and 2.5 over on the driver side. My point is, too much or too little pressure can make a big difference.
If you look at them agai. The whole tread is worn from the outside edge in the to the inside. As in the inside edge has more tread. I did some testing today and took my spare and put it on it was better. And then I used a spare bald 35 on a 16" it was perfect. Also I rotated them front to back and also perfect.... apparently. One tire on the front was load range d and the other was load range e... that might do it

Top Bottom