4wd on trails, as needed or full time?

Braxtonsag

Since we all come from different regions with different terrain, do you use 4wd full time on the trails or only as needed? Iv seen a few people say full time but in places that are mostly rock/slick rock, wouldn’t binding up the t case for an extended period of time cause unnecessary wear?

fiend

Caught the Bug
I pretty much go into 4wd when I get off the pavement, unless it’s a maintained dirt or gravel road.

Yes you can bind the driveline in 4wd, but you pretty much have to be on pavement or the equivalent the whole time. Moab may be the closest to that, but even there, there are plenty of stretches of dirt and sand to mitigate the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bear_JT

Hooked
I only really use it as needed on dirt roads that may be rutted out. A lot of the time when I’m on an actual trail I’ll be in 4 high until I need 4 low.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Disconnected @ "Oh Dirt"
4 Hi @ "Oh Damn"
4 Low @ "Oh Crap"
4 Low Rear Locked @ "Oh Shit"
4 Low Front/Rear Locked @ "Oh Fuck!"

Braxtonsag

I guess I just assumed it was worse on the t case than it is lol. I never used 4wd till I actually needed it. Probably put a lot of stress on my rear shafts that I didn’t need to in the process as well.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Guess it’s depending on where you live and the specific trail your running.

For us east coasters all we really have are parks, so I go into 4hi as soon as I leave the parking lot. When I get to the first main trail I go to 4lo and stay there the rest of the day.

When I went to Moab I was in and out of 4lo and hi. There was plenty of stretches where 4lo wasn’t needed

Ddays

Hooked
The only real difference is that the front axle is not under power in 2hi. Everything is turning and connected except at the TC when you're in 2wd so all 4wd is doing is engaging the front DS.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Like Cozdude said, most of the trails on this side of the Mississippi are parks so you are immediately in 4 hi. With the dirt and gravel roads that I run most days, as soon as I start running above 40 mph I go into 4hi as well. It adds a ton more control on loose gravel and dirt.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I throw mine in 4L as soon as I get to the parks. I have a manual and its much easier to be in Low and not have to feather the clutch all the time.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
This thread has been informative, I wondered what the 'best' was after my last trip.

I've been to Redbird SRA in Indiana twice now. I was in 4L as soon as I got on trail the first time I went. The second time my buddy told me to keep it in 4H on the trails unless 4L was needed, less wear and tear on the t-case he thought. Don't know if that's true. 4H was adequate for most of what we did. I just felt like i had better control in 4L, could really crawl over obstacles. Less likely to drop off too fast and bump the underbelly.

Braxtonsag

I mean I did run a vinyl business and still have our equipment lol would take 2 seconds to make. I’ll probably start utilizing 4hi full time on the trails then. Iv never struggled using 2hi unless 4 was needed, but it’ll probably take a lot of load off of those rear shafts and r&p. Ya learn something new every day!

jesse3638

Hooked
Like Cozdude said, most of the trails on this side of the Mississippi are parks so you are immediately in 4 hi. With the dirt and gravel roads that I run most days, as soon as I start running above 40 mph I go into 4hi as well. It adds a ton more control on loose gravel and dirt.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Takes all the fun out of it...haha.

I throw mine in 4L as soon as I get to the parks. I have a manual and its much easier to be in Low and not have to feather the clutch all the time.

This is nice with a manual as you can start in any gear.

This thread has been informative, I wondered what the 'best' was after my last trip.

I've been to Redbird SRA in Indiana twice now. I was in 4L as soon as I got on trail the first time I went. The second time my buddy told me to keep it in 4H on the trails unless 4L was needed, less wear and tear on the t-case he thought. Don't know if that's true. 4H was adequate for most of what we did. I just felt like i had better control in 4L, could really crawl over obstacles. Less likely to drop off too fast and bump the underbelly.

4lo does give you more control especially at low speeds.

I mean I did run a vinyl business and still have our equipment lol would take 2 seconds to make. I’ll probably start utilizing 4hi full time on the trails then. Iv never struggled using 2hi unless 4 was needed, but it’ll probably take a lot of load off of those rear shafts and r&p. Ya learn something new every day!

In addition to this it also lessens trail damage from spinning the rears and trying to use the skinny pedal to clear an obstacle. I've never been a fan of the people who say "Why did you cheat and use 4wd. I can do it in 2wd". Then watch them tear things up trying, only to fail and dig some deep ass ruts or kick rock all over. Irresponsible driving gets trails closed down.

I usually switch to 4hi when I hit the dirt so I can disco the front for more ride comfort. If you don't have e-disco then it doesn't matter. I use 4hi where I can drive over 15 mph or need momentum and 4lo when I am going slow and need more control.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Takes all the fun out of it...haha.

Now if I was out in the desert, I’d totally agree! I’m busting down dirt roads with large trees 5-10 feet on either side just waiting for a deer to come flying out and try to ruin my day. 4wd gives me that extra control when needed but does take the fun out of the corners.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

AgBass01

Caught the Bug
4LO the entire time I'm on the trails for me as well. I have an automatic so I use the "manual mode" and go between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd depending on what I'm doing.

BaddestCross

I guess it depends on how you're geared. I usually run in 4H as soon as I hit dirt and only use 4L for crawling rocks or really steep hill climbs.

The Rubi t-case with 5.13 gears is really low. 1st in 4L is only good up to around 3-5MPH and 4th till about 20 and that's pushing it. If I stay in 4L between obstacles, I'm usually locked in 3rd and stay out of D to avoid 1st altogether.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

fiend

Caught the Bug
I guess it depends on how you're geared. I usually run in 4H as soon as I hit dirt and only use 4L for crawling rocks or really steep hill climbs.

The Rubi t-case with 5.13 gears is really low. 1st in 4L is only good up to around 3-5MPH and 4th till about 20 and that's pushing it. If I stay in 4L between obstacles, I'm usually locked in 3rd and stay out of D to avoid 1st altogether.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

That’s why you need a rubicrawler. [emoji6][emoji16]

Top Bottom