Aftermarket front seats 2dr

desertrunner

My wife is constantly complaining about the seat in the Jeep (rightfully so the side bolster foam is tore on her side) and I would really love something more comfortable myself.
I could have swore somewhere that getting aftermarket seats that the brackets required to fit them you lose the tumble function for getting into the back of a 2dr.
I am having a really hard time finding any information about the base plate functions other than some are listed for a 4dr JK and that's it. Did I somehow fabricate the memory about losing the tumble function or if I were to purchase aftermarket seats the it would depend on the brand and the base plate?
Or is it just accepting the fact that aftermarket seats in a 2dr I'll just not have as much room to climb in the back?

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You lose it with the mastercrafts. Do you carry people in the back that often?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

desertrunner

You lose it with the mastercrafts. Do you carry people in the back that often?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
Hahaha first mod I did was remove the back seats and they have been in the garage ever since. BUT I don't want to rule out the possibility of ever using them again at some point. If there is a good aftermarket seat that they can still tumble I would be more likely to choose it even if I never use it. But if I'm gonna lose it no matter what.... Well then it's just something I'd like to know before buying seats

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Curious about seat options that keep the tumble as well. Might ditch the rear seat eventually but would like the option if available

desertrunner

Curious about seat options that keep the tumble as well. Might ditch the rear seat eventually but would like the option if available
So I found something on PRPs website listed as a tilt mount.... Says it lifts it maybe it's something similar.
I honestly don't know what type of mounting brackets are under the stock seats or how these after market brackets work but this may be on the right track Screenshot_20190918-175210_Chrome.jpg

desertrunner

Ok so I called PRP today and they said that the tilt mount is not something that's used in the JK it's a universal mount for any flat surface. But the dude I talked to mentioned that their jeep jk mounts mount on top of the OEM slide and fold track so I should have no issues with losing the fold and tumble function of my seats.
Good to know so at least the PRP is an option. And I guess any other seat manufacturer that has brackets that bolt to the original seat mount should work to keep that function.

desertrunner

The MasterCraft website specifically says on 2dr JKs it doesn't recommend use on the passenger side due to extensive modifications needed and does not maintain the fold and tumble. So looks like MasterCraft is out for me.

Corbeau JK brackets replaces the entire mounting frame and has their own slider so that won't maintain the tumble feature either.

So far most of this is leading me down the road if PRP

Zstairlessone

Hahaha first mod I did was remove the back seats and they have been in the garage ever since. BUT I don't want to rule out the possibility of ever using them again at some point. If there is a good aftermarket seat that they can still tumble I would be more likely to choose it even if I never use it. But if I'm gonna lose it no matter what.... Well then it's just something I'd like to know before buying seats

Put them in the dumpster and never look back

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The MasterCraft website specifically says on 2dr JKs it doesn't recommend use on the passenger side due to extensive modifications needed and does not maintain the fold and tumble. So looks like MasterCraft is out for me.

Corbeau JK brackets replaces the entire mounting frame and has their own slider so that won't maintain the tumble feature either.

So far most of this is leading me down the road if PRP

Good to know. Thanks! Will have to look at prp at some point

desertrunner

Hahahaha you guys crack me up... If only because all of those thoughts have crossed my mind and my wife is sick of me asking to buy a 4dr (not to replace but to add to the 2dr haha)

desertrunner

Good to know. Thanks! Will have to look at prp at some point
So the thing I'm still confused about is the slide function is part of the OEM base plate that make sense BUT the tumble function is linked to the recliner handle on the seat itself so..... Even if I can re use the OEM base plate not sure how I could tie in the recliner to the tumble.... Honestly I have no clue what it looks like under my seat and all the YouTube videos I find are of 4drs I may just need to pull the seat and take a look at how it all works under there.

mauijim

So the thing I'm still confused about is the slide function is part of the OEM base plate that make sense BUT the tumble function is linked to the recliner handle on the seat itself so..... Even if I can re use the OEM base plate not sure how I could tie in the recliner to the tumble.... Honestly I have no clue what it looks like under my seat and all the YouTube videos I find are of 4drs I may just need to pull the seat and take a look at how it all works under there.

I’ve been thinking about replacing my seats as well and never really thought about this issue. I mean I guess I could live without it tilting forward but it would be nice. I took my backseat out right after I bought my 2 jk and since put in a security deck, but still have about 2’ of room to throw stuff back there. I’ll keep an eye on your post to see what you come up with. Meanwhile if I come across something I’ll let you know

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

I’ve been thinking about replacing my seats as well and never really thought about this issue. I mean I guess I could live without it tilting forward but it would be nice. I took my backseat out right after I bought my 2 jk and since put in a security deck, but still have about 2’ of room to throw stuff back there. I’ll keep an eye on your post to see what you come up with. Meanwhile if I come across something I’ll let you know

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
My jeep isn't my DD so I may just pull my driver seat this weekend and check out how the tumble works. If I do I'll post up what I find

desertrunner

Ok I finally got to digging around under the seats and here is what I found. This is all on the passenger side closest to the center console. There is a mechanism that is attached to a cable associated with the recliner function of the seat. When the seat is folded as far forward as it can go that cable pulls on a latch that in turn pushes down on an arm. This arm is what controls the tumble function of the stock mount. I confirmed that by (without folding the seat) sticking my hand down in there and pushing the arm down and making the mount tumble. This is why you cannot tumble the seat without it being folded all the way because there is nothing to push the arm down.

All of that to say that if an aftermarket seat that attaches to the stock seat mount via an adapter, you should be able to maintain the tumble function provided there is a way to push down on the tumble arm when the seat is folded forward.

The first photo is the cable coming off the back of the seat. The second photo is with the seat in a normal seating position. The third is the seat folded forward but not tumbled and you can see where the bracket attached to the spring is pushing down on the arm to the far right. The last pic is from the back with the seat tumbled and you can see the lever arm on the left that controls the tumble function 20190920_173104.jpg 20190920_172348.jpg 20190920_172442.jpg 20190920_173953.jpg

desertrunner

This cable is removeable off of the stock seats so IF the PRP seat (or some other seat that uses the stock seat mount track) has a place to connect that cable to the reclining function then YES the tumble function of the 2dr seats will be maintained.

Or if the PRP seats have a cable of their own that can be connected to that spring bracket on the stock sliding track then the tumble function will be maintained.

With all that said I do not know if the PRP seats have a cable or if they have a tab to connect the stock cable or if one can be retrofit to their seat. Those are all questions I will have to call and ask them.

So far PRP is the only one that I have found that still uses the stock sliding track that does not specifically say the tumble function will not be maintained (like MasterCraft). 20190920_174944.jpg

Top Bottom