Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 35 Spline D44 Vs SF60?

Been Around the Block Braxtonsag's Avatar

35 Spline D44 Vs SF60?

Iím trying to decide which route I want to go in the rear. My options right now are a SF prorock 60 or converting the rear over to a 35 spline carrier and shafts. I always see people saying that the sf60 isnít worth the money and thatís why this is even a predicament. I am currently running 38s, my jeep is reletively lightweight, and Iím soft on the gas. The current setup I have had 0 issues with my oem dana 44, but Iíd feel a lot better with some more beef in the back.

With all that being said, full floaters are pretty much out of the question. I donít have the budget to replace front and rear both, plus buy new wheels and driveshafts. I just got a prorock 44 at the beginning of the year and want to build the rear to be just as good.

35 Spline D44 Vs SF60?

Not sure what more ďbeef in backĒ youíre looking for. Main reasons to go with a 60 would be to run 40s and 5.38s. Sounds like youíre not planning either of those. A reason to go with a FF60 is to eliminate bent flange risk. SF60 doesnít do that. SF60 axle shafts will be thicker and stronger then 44 shafts, but I havenít heard that shaft breakage is much of an issue with 44s. Unless youíre dropping in a V8, which I assume youíre not. Bottom line, I personally see little benefit to going SF60. I would save the money and put it toward chromoly axle shafts, as well as a big brake kit if you donít already have that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by fiend; 09-23-2019 at 11:05 PM.

Hooked
    I have the sf60 rear and pr44 front as well with no complaints at all. Like you full float and all the other parts werenít in the cards at the time.

Saying that... I went wheeling once 3-4 years ago to Moab and havenít done a damn thing since so Iím not the best to tell you about strength. It gets me to work really damn well though and I fear no Midwest pothole.

Iíve run a Fusion 60 SF Rear for two years running 37s on them. Yes it is stronger, and yes you will still bend a flange every now and then if you play hard enough. You will loose a bit of clearance at the rear diff too. I can say that I have never bent a flange to a point where it ďwagon wheelsĒ or is not drivable. The Yukon shafts have held up very well and they are lifetime warranted against bent flanges. Is it worth it, I really donít know but I had a lot more confidence getting after it on the rocks. Like you I wasnít ready for full floats when I did it, but now I am in the next year or so. If I do decide to dive in, Iíll have a 60/44 hybrid front and 60SF rear up for sale sometime in the spring/summer, but I canít make any promises yet.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

IMHO absolutely DO NOT waste your money on a SF rear. In my case, I've bent 4 flanges on my PR60 FF that II bought 5 years ago because I wanted a bullet-proof rear end.
    I've wagon-wheeled two of them and the other two just drove me goddam bonkers with the chirping. If you want to go to a 60 rear end, go all the way and do a FF.

Build the rear 44. Thatís what I did and it hasnít let me down. That being said Iím still running 30 spline rear cause then I can carry the stock rear shafts with me for if I bend one of my Revolution shaft flanges
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Been Around the Block Braxtonsag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    Not sure what more ďbeef in backĒ youíre looking for. Main reasons to go with a 60 would be to run 40s and 5.38s. Sounds like youíre not planning either of those. A reason to go with a FF60 is to eliminate bent flange risk. SF60 doesnít do that. SF60 axle shafts will be thicker and stronger then 44 shafts, but I havenít heard that shaft breakage is much of an issue with 44s. Unless youíre dropping in a V8, which I assume youíre not. Bottom line, I personally see little benefit to going SF60. I would save the money and put it toward chromoly axle shafts, as well as a big brake kit if you donít already have that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Iíve played with the idea of running a 40. The 38s have done well and I havenít had a single issue, but just thinking 40s would probably be too much for oem 30 spline. Before anyone asks why, my wife hates getting her ass beat offroad, so the easier the jeep can walk up and over things as small as a fist sized rock the better. I think with my habits of a soft foot and not forcing the jeep to do something it doesnít want to do I could get away with the 44 R&P, but thatís another reason I asked about the sf60, in case I need to eliminate that from the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Braxtonsag View Post
    Iíve played with the idea of running a 40. The 38s have done well and I havenít had a single issue, but just thinking 40s would probably be too much for oem 30 spline. Before anyone asks why, my wife hates getting her ass beat offroad, so the easier the jeep can walk up and over things as small as a fist sized rock the better. I think with my habits of a soft foot and not forcing the jeep to do something it doesnít want to do I could get away with the 44 R&P, but thatís another reason I asked about the sf60, in case I need to eliminate that from the equation.
    If you see Eddies video of him running 40ís on a 35 spline 44, he grenaded his ring and pinion, not his shafts which is most likely what will happen even with a light foot under the right conditions...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Braxtonsag View Post

I think the big thing with running a 40, even with a light foot, would be the size of the pinion and width of the axle. The video of moby on 40s at Dusy has been posted so many times that we have all seen it too much, but there's a pretty good lesson in there and mileage and trails are really well documented.
    Just to give you another data point, I have a Sahara, so the 35 spline upgrade was easy when I regeared. For the last 10k miles I have been running 37 13.50 R17 Toyo MT's (10 ply) on Machetes. Not what I would call a light combo. The 40k miles before I was running 37 12.50 Toyo RTs. Trails aren't super hard up here, but there is a lot of slick mossy rock so "slip and grab" is kind of the terrain. Axle's held up really well. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgelrod View Post
    If you see Eddies video of him running 40ís on a 35 spline 44, he grenaded his ring and pinion, not his shafts which is most likely what will happen even with a light foot under the right conditions...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Well played, sir. I need to type faster.....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast