Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 35 Spline D44 Vs SF60?

So what I'm getting from this is heavy jeeps plus sticky rocks equals bad news with 38s to 40s correct? I'm a little out of place here because I have an early bronco but I've been checking out all the jeep forums because I'm putting a jk dana 44 front axle in my bronco. How much meat is left on the pinion with the dana 44 with 5.13s? I'm running quite a bit more power than a typical jeep and actually have really light weight rig. I'm in Louisiana so all I deal with is mud and will be using my bronco to drag along a little lifted 8ft equipment trailer through job sights to maintenance my excavator and have a little fun at the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBud View Post
    How much meat is left on the pinion with the dana 44 with 5.13s? .
    Not enough. Pinion gets tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

So what I'm getting from this is heavy jeeps plus sticky rocks equals bad news with 38s to 40s correct? I'm a little out of place here because I have an early bronco but I've been checking out all the jeep forums because I'm putting a jk dana 44 front axle in my bronco. How much meat is left on the pinion with the dana 44 with 5.13s? I'm running quite a bit more power than a typical jeep and actually have really light weight rig. I'm in Louisiana so all I deal with is mud and will be using my bronco to drag along a little lifted 8ft equipment trailer through job sights to maintenance my excavator and have a little fun at the beach.
    5.13 is as low as you'll want to go on the D44, but if you've got more power and you plan on running 40s, you're gonna want to go with a D60 for sure, if not a D80, depending on what your setup is.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Quote Originally Posted by -AINOKEA- View Post
    Not enough. Pinion gets tiny.

That's what I needed to know thanks. Looks like I'll be doing 4.88s

Quote Originally Posted by BaddestCross View Post
    5.13 is as low as you'll want to go on the D44, but if you've got more power and you plan on running 40s, you're gonna want to go with a D60 for sure, if not a D80, depending on what your setup is.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    In all honesty I was doing a dana 60/sterling 10.5 swap initially. Packaging was a nightmare in my bronco due to the extremely narrow frame. I sold off all my 1 ton stuff when I messed up the front axle housing. (Had to move the pumpkin more to passenger side and narrow at the same time). I miss measured and narrowed to much. I have no desire to do that over when I can build some y link arms and pretty much bolt up one of jk dana 44s. I honestly would rather run 37s but my bronco is already cut for 42s lol. Wont look to good lol

In all honesty I was doing a dana 60/sterling 10.5 swap initially. Packaging was a nightmare in my bronco due to the extremely narrow frame. I sold off all my 1 ton stuff when I messed up the front axle housing. (Had to move the pumpkin more to passenger side and narrow at the same time). I miss measured and narrowed to much. I have no desire to do that over when I can build some y link arms and pretty much bolt up one of jk dana 44s. I honestly would rather run 37s but my bronco is already cut for 42s lol. Wont look to good lol
    Get good at setting up gears then because you'll be doing it often.

--
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

That's what I needed to know thanks. Looks like I'll be doing 4.88s
    Sorry for a d44, 5.13 isn’t too bad. But if you’re gonna be running 38s or 40s you might want a little more meat on there. Also 38s or 40s will put a ton of stress on a 44 in various areas, especially with more power. I’d probably go with a 60.

The 44 can handle increased horsepower. They put them in corvettes, for example. The issue is going to be the pinion. I higher HP applications they’re using ratios like 3.08:1. Once you’re at 5.13, the pinion is smaller and the gear set weaker. Depending on your transmission and wheel size, you maybe can get away with a 4.56 or 4.88. The smaller the ratio the larger the pinion gear the stronger the gear set.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    The 44 can handle increased horsepower. They put them in corvettes, for example. The issue is going to be the pinion. I higher HP applications they’re using ratios like 3.08:1. Once you’re at 5.13, the pinion is smaller and the gear set weaker. Depending on your transmission and wheel size, you maybe can get away with a 4.56 or 4.88. The smaller the ratio the larger the pinion gear the stronger the gear set.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I have a 35spline built 9" for the rear so honestly that's going to take 90% of the brunt. I just need the 4wd for when it gets slick.

Just to show I was being serious about the 60 swap. That was my initial goal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast