Thread: NOOB Question, Does the FAD allow shift on the fly 4WD?

NOOB Question, Does the FAD allow shift on the fly 4WD?

Hey everyone. Quick question. Does the FAD allow for shift on the fly 4WD? I'm not new to jeeps. But last night was driving home in some inclimate weather and thought about it as I shifted in and out of 4WD in my JKU with 6spd. I'm not unfamiliar with the axle disconnect concept. My first jeep was and '88 Jeep Comanche 4x4 w/ 5spd.
    My JTR is on order and it has an Auto trans. Does the FAD allow shift on the fly 4wd and will it function with an Auto trans?
    '08 Sahara JKU
    5.5" Rock Krawler lift with 2.0 reservoir shocks
    37" Cooper Discoverer STT tires
    OrFab front and rear bumpers with Teraflex HD hinge and tire carrier
    4.88 gears, ARB air lockers, ARB diff covers, onboard air, Rubicon transfer case

Quote Originally Posted by bonedoc View Post
    Hey everyone. Quick question. Does the FAD allow for shift on the fly 4WD? I'm not new to jeeps. But last night was driving home in some inclimate weather and thought about it as I shifted in and out of 4WD in my JKU with 6spd. I'm not unfamiliar with the axle disconnect concept. My first jeep was and '88 Jeep Comanche 4x4 w/ 5spd.
    My JTR is on order and it has an Auto trans. Does the FAD allow shift on the fly 4wd and will it function with an Auto trans?
    Also, just something to note, on ours, it is very difficult to shift into 4HI. As in, you have to really pull the lever hard. Funny too, because when we first got it, our salesman was telling us (in regards to the shift lever), 'Don't worry, You can't break it.' I have a feeling other customers have called him about it.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Nothing but a Thing RESURECTIONJK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Yup, shift on the fly.
    You’re alive!

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Also, just something to note, on ours, it is very difficult to shift into 4HI. As in, you have to really pull the lever hard. Funny too, because when we first got it, our salesman was telling us (in regards to the shift lever), 'Don't worry, You can't break it.' I have a feeling other customers have called him about it.
    This is just a slightly educated guess, but I believe the reason it is hard to shift is that you have to engage the clutch that spins the transfer case gears and front driveshaft up to matching speed before they will engage, then once the speed matches the FAD engages.