Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Fixing Overheating Issue

Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    Try removing the winch and see if it helps. I’d bet you’ll see a difference.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    Yup, pull the winch, the license plate , the stinger. That shit all either blocks or messes with air pattern flow at speed. EVO makes a good bumper that will lower that winch and get it between your frame rails and out of the way of your grill.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Matthew Nicholas
    The Wampa- 16’ JK Rubicon Hard Rock
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the RECOMMENDED-Jeep-Parts-amp-Accessories section of this forum will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by 64fabius View Post
    Hi, have you checked the electric fan? Does it work fine?
    The fan is working I can hear and see it come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Abntroop View Post
    Yup, pull the winch, the license plate , the stinger. That shit all either blocks or messes with air pattern flow at speed. EVO makes a good bumper that will lower that winch and get it between your frame rails and out of the way of your grill.

This is actually a bumper I fabricated from scratch. I have been thinking about a redesign to move winch in-between frame rails. Gonna remove winch and see how much of a difference it makes.

I am also gonna do a transmission fluid/filter change. The filter has never been changed, some of the fluid was replaced when transmission cooler line connection blew apart a while back. Its possible the filter being old and clogged is causing extra heat.
    Last edited by reece_price; 10-01-2019 at 04:52 PM.
    2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1948 Willy's CJ2A

Knows a Thing or Two monstrousmac's Avatar
    I had the same issues with my Jeep overheating. The temp gauge would get to 3/4 when I got past 60 mph on the highway and the Air Conditoner would not work well. I swapped my front bumper with an EVO Quater Pounder and now I can cruise at 75 mph with no issues. The temp guage is slightly below the half way mark and A/C is kicking again. Here is a before and after picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by monstrousmac; 10-01-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Fresh Catch
    One thing I've always wondered.

Engine/trans skids.....

While camping in cold weather shortly after buying my 2011 jk I had to "squat" next to my Jeep and remember thinking I was a GENIUS! For leaving the engine running, that nice hot air coming out from underneath sure kept me from freezing my a.....ny way, you get the point.

I wonder if the underbody skids are somehow trapping the air that's being pulled/pushed through the radiator?, Because if you don't have a void for the air to go out into, then it's just stuck in there, creating an obstruction just as one in FRONT of the radiator ......

Possible?......

At low speeds, the water pump is moving slower so, the coolant sits in the radiator longer, allowing it to cool down more, therefore negating the trapped air in the engine bay, but, add to that water pump speed , engine speed(more heat), and more wind flow underneath blocking the trapped air and Bam!.....make sense?....

I have a manual jk, live in the desert, no added skids, run in 110*+down to the 20*- range, it runs 195* to 200* under most situations, turn on the AC and go a bit slow and I've seen 213* at the highest, never seen 220*.....ever.

I run straight distilled water with waterwetter.

Maybe something to look into?....

I would pull the radiator and clean it with medium pressure from the back to the front, toss some simple green on it and let it soak(opposite the natural flow of air while installed), this way you flush out and not jamm it deeper into the radiator. Then, using a light behind the radiator, make sure you got it all out!.

My thoughts.....

Good luck.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gonzzo View Post
    One thing I've always wondered.

Engine/trans skids.....

While camping in cold weather shortly after buying my 2011 jk I had to "squat" next to my Jeep and remember thinking I was a GENIUS! For leaving the engine running, that nice hot air coming out from underneath sure kept me from freezing my a.....ny way, you get the point.

I wonder if the underbody skids are somehow trapping the air that's being pulled/pushed through the radiator?, Because if you don't have a void for the air to go out into, then it's just stuck in there, creating an obstruction just as one in FRONT of the radiator ......

Possible?......

At low speeds, the water pump is moving slower so, the coolant sits in the radiator longer, allowing it to cool down more, therefore negating the trapped air in the engine bay, but, add to that water pump speed , engine speed(more heat), and more wind flow underneath blocking the trapped air and Bam!.....make sense?....

I have a manual jk, live in the desert, no added skids, run in 110*+down to the 20*- range, it runs 195* to 200* under most situations, turn on the AC and go a bit slow and I've seen 213* at the highest, never seen 220*.....ever.

I run straight distilled water with waterwetter.

Maybe something to look into?....

I would pull the radiator and clean it with medium pressure from the back to the front, toss some simple green on it and let it soak(opposite the natural flow of air while installed), this way you flush out and not jamm it deeper into the radiator. Then, using a light behind the radiator, make sure you got it all out!.

My thoughts.....

Good luck.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk
    Skid plates not designed correctly can definitely keep heat in.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Fresh Catch
    Update, took the winch, bumper, etc off. I was able to cruise at 75 80 and it ran around 223-225 which is great. If I really pushed it like 5k+rpm 90mph for extended periods it started to warm up. But that is expected.

Already making plans to build a new bumper with recessed winch. It's gonna be similar to Evo with stinger, but it's going to go out to edge of grill instead of stopping just past frame rails.

I'll make sure and post a build tread.
    1948 Willy's CJ2A

Quote Originally Posted by reece_price View Post
    Update, took the winch, bumper, etc off. I was able to cruise at 75 80 and it ran around 223-225 which is great. If I really pushed it like 5k+rpm 90mph for extended periods it started to warm up. But that is expected.

Already making plans to build a new bumper with recessed winch. It's gonna be similar to Evo with stinger, but it's going to go out to edge of grill instead of stopping just past frame rails.

I'll make sure and post a build tread.
    Well, that’s a start. Still running a little warm. I notice since stripping mine down I’m around 185-210 from 218 avg (before trip, around town avg w. No trailer ) to 243 pulling the trailer at 70mph on this last trip and never getting below 225

Matthew Nicholas
    The Wampa- 16’ JK Rubicon Hard Rock
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the RECOMMENDED-Jeep-Parts-amp-Accessories section of this forum will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Abntroop View Post
    Well, that’s a start. Still running a little warm. I notice since stripping mine down I’m around 185-210 from 218 avg (before trip, around town avg w. No trailer ) to 243 pulling the trailer at 70mph on this last trip and never getting below 225

That temp was running 80 at 3300ish rpm. With 5.13 I run higher rpm so additional heat is kinda expected. It also got up to 225 for a quick second then cooler back to 221-223
    Last edited by reece_price; 10-04-2019 at 12:51 AM.
    1948 Willy's CJ2A

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12