Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Fixing Overheating Issue

Fresh Catch

Help Fixing Overheating Issue

I would like some help trying to figure out a overheating issue on my JKUR. Background 100k miles 37s 5.13 gears automatic. Metal bumpers and full under belly skids.

So my Jeep stays mostly cool. I can cruise around drive highway up to 65 ish and it stays at around 223ish that's with AC on full blast. But if I start going above the 65ish 3k RPM range it starts to heat up. It's not immediate, but it's starts warming up. I just did a full coolant flush and it seems a little better, but still a problem. Using a scan tool I pushed it before the flush and temp got up to 238 before I let off the throttle, it then cooled back down to 220 while cruising at 60ish.

When the engine is cool I start it up and the temp climbs quickly like it should then it levels out around 220 at idle. Which tells me the thermostat is working. It is a replacement unit from auto parts store, old one stuck closed on me and had to replace it.

I can crawl around off road and it's fine. It's just the highway speed it does not like.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm debating gutting the whole coolant system and replacing it all because everything has 100K miles on it.

My ideas would be water-pump is worn and not moving coolant efficiently around, or thermostat is not opening fully.

Check for mud, dirt, grass and shit blocking your radiator and condensor fins.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Check for mud, dirt, grass and shit blocking your radiator and condensor fins.

I sprayed out the radiator with hose sprayer when I did coolant flush. Took the grill off to make sure I got everything.

Quote Originally Posted by reece_price View Post
    I sprayed out the radiator with hose sprayer when I did coolant flush. Took the grill off to make sure I got everything.
    Remove everything blocking airflow to the grille, decorative surrounds, mesh, bumper hoop, lights, winch, etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Matthew Nicholas
    The Wampa- 16’ JK Rubicon Hard Rock
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the RECOMMENDED-Jeep-Parts-amp-Accessories section of this forum will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Abntroop View Post
    Remove everything blocking airflow to the grille, decorative surrounds, mesh, bumper hoop, lights, winch, etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app[/QUOTE

I will have to try that and see if it makes a difference, I thought the JK didn't have airflow issue like TJ.
    Last edited by reece_price; 10-01-2019 at 04:58 PM.

For sure, the JKs have to have clear air flow. Start there and see if it makes a difference.

I ran into an odd temp situation with mine. It’s been running warm to hot for over a year after having the dealership change the fluids and filters on the trans and TC. After long runs would find a bit of trans fluid had come out the dip stick. It never thru a code or gave me a engine light do I just Ignored it. Checked the fluid level and it was way above the hot set of holes even when the Jeep was cold. The lovely dealership overfilled it by two quarts as compared to when I refilled it after doing a quick fluid swap. Both trans and engine dropped 15-20 degrees after the fluid change and correct fluid level. Once again, learned my lesson about take it in.

The short version is check your fluid levels and air filter to to make everything’s at the right level and clean as well.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Knows a Thing or Two danford.lau's Avatar
    Post a picture of the front of the Jeep . As others have said could be an airflow issue . I’m working through this as well .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    IMG_20181013_104322.jpg

Here is a picture of the front of my Jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by reece_price View Post
    IMG_20181013_104322.jpg

Here is a picture of the front of my Jeep.
    Try removing the winch and see if it helps. I’d bet you’ll see a difference.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Fresh Catch
    Hi, have you checked the electric fan? Does it work fine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast