Transmission Trouble

Spike72

Good day
I broke the head to bolt over the exhaust pipe trying to take off the trans pan. First bolt I try to remove and it breaks. Any ideas on getting the rest out before I put head to a transmission place for a quote?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Good day
I broke the head to bolt over the exhaust pipe trying to take off the trans pan. First bolt I try to remove and it breaks. Any ideas on getting the rest out before I put head to a transmission place for a quote?
Thanks in advance

If there is enough exposed to put some vice grips on it i'd try that.

Otherwise get a good set of EZ outs. Don't buy junk. Watch youtube vids on how to use them. Hit it with PB blaster before trying to back it out. DO NOT SNAP AN EZOUT OFF INSIDE THE BROKEN BOLT OR YOU WILL SPEND DAYS GRINDING THE BASTARDS OUT!

If you have a welder you can possibly weld a stud on it to get vice grips or something else on.

Good luck!

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Good day
Thanks in advance

Sorry, and I just realized you said exhaust bolt. Depending on how old that exhaust system is, your road conditions, etc. That bolt could pretty much be fused in.

Another option would be to drill the bolt out to the appropriate ID for the thread. You can go to a machinists website to figure out the correct drill bit size. Then chase the threads with a tap to remove the thread material from the old bolt. That may be better than an EZ Out, I'm assuming those bolts are pretty stuck.

Spike72

Sorry, and I just realized you said exhaust bolt. Depending on how old that exhaust system is, your road conditions, etc. That bolt could pretty much be fused in.

Another option would be to drill the bolt out to the appropriate ID for the thread. You can go to a machinists website to figure out the correct drill bit size. Then chase the threads with a tap to remove the thread material from the old bolt. That may be better than an EZ Out, I'm assuming those bolts are pretty stuck.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. It’s the transmission bolt to the pan. It’s that hard to reach bolt over the exhaust pipe. I had to remove the tranny skid plate and raise the tran case a bit to reach that bolt

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. It’s the transmission bolt to the pan. It’s that hard to reach bolt over the exhaust pipe. I had to remove the tranny skid plate and raise the tran case a bit to reach that bolt

Hmm... I haven't poked around under my jeep enough, not quite sure what bolt that would be. If it is over the exhaust pipe I'm sure the heat got to it. If you cannot get a drill bit to it and an easy out you may need to take it in...

If you can get to it I'd hit it with a fuckload of PB blaster then try the easy out method.

If you can't get to it with a drill bit/easy out combo you still may be able to weld a stud onto it and then use that stud to back it out. Good luck! I'd love to see a picture and hear if you do get it out! May have some other ideas if I can see it, but there's really only a few good tools for a broken, recessed bolt.

cpefy3

If you do try the EZ-Out method, I would consider removing the exhaust so you could have a straight shot at it. Trying to cut any corners at this point will only lead to more headaches. Good Luck!!

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
If it is not the bolt that goes in to the transmission, You could plug weld a nut to the shaft of the bolt and then try to remove it, plus the heat my loosen it up when you weld the nut to the shaft. Yes I used shaft and nut in the same sentence, let the jokes roll..

Brute

Hooked
If it is not the bolt that goes in to the transmission, You could plug weld a nut to the shaft of the bolt and then try to remove it, plus the heat my loosen it up when you weld the nut to the shaft. Yes I used shaft and nut in the same sentence, let the jokes roll..

Are you saying you should also talk dirty to it while attempting extraction?...

G-mansjk

Just pull the rest of the bolts drop the pan and see if you can get vice grips on what's left of the bolt. Or use a chisel to back it out if there is enough bolt exposed. If all else fails easy out that son of a gun.

That's right I'm a window licker, I can't spell, my grammar sucks!!!!

G-mansjk

You can use a brass drift to shock the bolts and hopefully ease removal of the bolts if they are that ceased in the threads

That's right I'm a window licker, I can't spell, my grammar sucks!!!!

cpefy3

Another option is if there is enough of the bolt exposed, you can take a Dremel and carefully cut a notch into the bolt and then use a flat head screw driver to try and remove it. Best of luck.

Top Bottom