Thread: Need Exhaust Heat Shield 401 V8

Fresh Catch

Need Exhaust Heat Shield 401 V8

I have a 1983 CJ7 with a 401 V8 out of a 1975 Wagoneer. I purchase the vehicle with this engine already installed and it runs great, the only problem I have is the massive amount of heat it produces that radiates into the body tub...on the highway it is almost unbearable.

This jeep is pretty heavily modified, and is meant for off-road use 90% of the time but sometimes I canít use the trailer and have to drive it to the trail heads and then home.

Since itís an old Jeep and meant for off road it is pretty dirty. I know I can get adhesive backed stuff to go under the body tub and on the firewall which would help, but I would have to do a bunch of cleaning to get that stuff to stick on the body tub correctly.

Iím in the process of attempting to wrap my headers and beginning portion of the exhaust with a fiberglass header wrap. I have first sprayed the headers and exhaust with high temperature silicone paint to ensure it doesnít rust underneath the wrap, and I will be applying the wrap over the next week.

The jeep has the original headers on it so they are not aftermarket tubular headers and Iím not going to spend the time to pull the headers off to wrap them. Which means there are some really tight spaces. One of the headers has a small heat shield already there from the original set up, which means I canít access it very well.

Do you know of any type of heat shield that I could mold to the headers or clamp on to can get the job done? It looks like I will be able to wrap one of them but probably not the other.

I have a bunch of stainless steel tie wraps that I can use to hold metal or some other substance in place on top of the headers and the length of the exhaust. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fresh Catch
    IMG_2698.JPG

Fresh Catch
    IMG_2700.JPG

Fresh Catch
    IMG_2701.JPG

Fresh Catch
    IMG_2702.JPG