Tow rig just stopped running

A JK 2010

When it rains it pours. Been hit with some rough times and now just received another blow. I was taking my SXS to the shop yesterday and my 02 2500HD just stopped running. Truck was running for about 15-20min before I left town. About 5 miles out of town I was passing a car doing 65 than I lost power so I pulled over to the side of the road No loud noise no check engine light came on nothing and now it won’t start. I tried priming it and didn’t start. It has been getting a bit colder in Leadville Colorado but not sure if that is the problem I did tow it home with the Jeep today
I don’t have any idea when it comes to a diesel this is my first one

Thanks for the help

GraniteWilly

The first thing that comes to mind is the fuel filter. Otherwise cold weather can impact glow plugs, but if it was running fine earlier that’s probably not it.

I’m no expert, but with a diesel if it turns over it’s usually a fuel problem.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Something similar happened to me in my 05.... was headed out of town to AZ and the truck started to lose power... it slowly got worse until I was in the middle of no where in 120 degree heat. Luckily my buddies Father was with us and he is an old school mechanic. After about an hour we realized the primer pump on the fuel filter was not holding pressure. The O-ring on the pump was shot. He took some construction string I had and wrapped a thin strand where the o-ring sits so when we put the o-ring back on it made a good seal... Pumped the primer... held pressure and we were on our way.... I ended up ordering a whole new pump assembly and swapped it out myself. I bet it's a bad primer pump.

fuel pump.jpg

Last edited:

A JK 2010

Something similar happened to me in my 05.... was headed out of town to AZ and the truck started to lose power... it slowly got worse until I was in the middle of no where in 120 degree heat. Luckily my buddies Father was with us and he is an old school mechanic. After about an hour we realized the primer pump on the fuel filter was not holding pressure. The O-ring on the pump was shot. He took some construction string I had and wrapped a thin strand where the o-ring sits so when we put the o-ring back on it made a good seal... Pumped the primer... held pressure and we were on our way.... I ended up ordering a whole new pump assembly and swapped it out myself. I bet it's a bad primer pump.

A JK 2010

On the bottom of the fuel pump it wasn’t plugged in. So I plugged it in but the batteries are dead so I will charge them and see it it was just a simple plug that came disconnect

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
Doesn't your truck alert you when the filter needs to be changed? It should tell you the % life of the filter.... if you don't change it, that could cause issues as well. That's weird that it was unplugged.

There is a small plastic screw at the top of the pump.... you loosen the screw and start pumping.... once you feel pressure and fuel starts to come out of that screw... tighten the screw. There should not be leaking other than that. If there is any pressure loss, your truck will not run.

Last edited:

A JK 2010

Doesn't your truck alert you when the filter needs to be changed? It should tell you the % life of the filter.... if you don't change it, that could cause issues as well. That's weird that it was unplugged.

There is a small plastic screw at the top of the pump.... you loosen the screw and start pumping.... once you feel pressure and fuel starts to come out of that screw... tighten the screw. There should not be leaking other than that. If there is any pressure loss, your truck will not run.

No my truck doesn’t have a percentage indicator I do see the screw on top but that filter is very loose so I will tighten it charge the batteries and try in the am.

MericaMade

All the plug on the bottom is is a water fuel separator indicator. The fuel heads are prone to and cracking allowing the fuel to drain back into the gas tank. Dmaxstore. Com carries a variety of them.

Were you having longer crank sessions trying to start your truck over the last couple of months? That's usually an indicator of losing pressure with the fuel head.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

A JK 2010

All the plug on the bottom is is a water fuel separator indicator. The fuel heads are prone to and cracking allowing the fuel to drain back into the gas tank. Dmaxstore. Com carries a variety of them.

Were you having longer crank sessions trying to start your truck over the last couple of months? That's usually an indicator of losing pressure with the fuel head.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just once when I bought it 4 months ago but it was pretty cold

I just got it started but now I have a warning light saying water in fuel?

Top Bottom