Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re-doing cb radio.

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    I use a hood mount. I get very good reception. Hereís a link to the one I have. Iíd imagine there are other sources for similar products.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/p...der-mount-2007

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I also use this hood mount. Works great. Generally speaking, the hood is a better location for a cb antenna anyway, because the hood offers a sizable "ground plane" for the radio waves, and should offer better range vs. on the spare tire carrier.

That said, a 3' or 4' firestick antenna with good ground and tuned SWR should still work on the spare tire carrier.

Also check that you have the correct length of coax cable between the antenna and radio. If not, you'll never be able to dial in the SWR.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Yeah I think I just had a bad ground do to the powder coat. The shop took some paint off and and said it wonít work but never test it so Iíll probably just grind some more paint off and try it again

Yeah I think I just had a bad ground do to the powder coat. The shop took some paint off and and said it wonít work but never test it so Iíll probably just grind some more paint off and try it again

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford33 View Post

I also ended up buying the ground strap Eddie used in his JL write up. That worked, but I think I may have been fine with my 12ga section of wire I had with lugs soldered to the end. I just didn't try it out connected the way I have it now. I think my SWR is down to 1.1 or 1.2. I can't remember but I do know I can hear and be heard...haha. I'm also running the Cobra 75 so the range isn't that great.

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Yeah I donít think that shop is used to working with things besides semis and industrial equipment. Thereís always a sacrifice for where you want to mount things on a Jeep, but you should have no issues getting a good ground with a little work.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse3638 View Post
    I also ended up buying the ground strap Eddie used in his JL write up. That worked, but I think I may have been fine with my 12ga section of wire I had with lugs soldered to the end. I just didn't try it out connected the way I have it now. I think my SWR is down to 1.1 or 1.2. I can't remember but I do know I can hear and be heard...haha. I'm also running the Cobra 75 so the range isn't that great.
    Does Eddie have a writeup for setting up a CB? I tried searching the forum and EVERYTHING came back. Not sure if some people have CB in their tags or something. Anyways, I'd love to see a how to for install/setup/calibration. I've read a lot but every bit helps. This will be in a JK, not JL but should still be relevant.

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Pretty straight forward. Install everything where you want it. At the radio hookup the swr meter ( or if it has one built in) go to channel one press the talk button and watch the signal strength. Repeat with the high channel. Assuming you have a tuneable tip, spin it one way or the other replace tip cap. Repeat. If you keep getting way high readings your ground sucks and needs attention, thatís where a grounding strap comes in. Make sure everything thatíll be installed on the Jeep is there when you tune it, tire carrier etc.

Hereís the how to i follow
    https://www.rightchannelradios.com/b...g-instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Primo82 View Post
    Does Eddie have a writeup for setting up a CB? I tried searching the forum and EVERYTHING came back. Not sure if some people have CB in their tags or something. Anyways, I'd love to see a how to for install/setup/calibration. I've read a lot but every bit helps. This will be in a JK, not JL but should still be relevant.
    Here is his write-up for the Cobra 29 in a JK.
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...ation-Write-Up

Here is his write-up for the Cobra 29 in a JL.
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...CB-Radio-Mount

Edit: I misread your post and did not see the "set up a CB" part...haha. Hopefully you'll still find this helpful.

Been Around the Block Jaybird 11's Avatar

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse3638 View Post
    I'm also running the Cobra 75 so the range isn't that great.
    Not trying to be a prick, but the range of a cb has very little to do with the type of radio, unless the output power has been illegally modified. Range is much more dependent on the SWR, antenna type, and antenna placement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast