Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace whole thing or just the worn part.

Knows a Thing or Two

Replace whole thing or just the worn part.

I found this while looking under the Jeep. Is this greaseable part even replaceable or should I replace the entire drag link with an aftermarket one? Just trying to get the Jeep ready for a possible easy trip. Too late for grease. I won’t let it get like this again.

IMG_3528.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

You probably can just replace the grease boot. If the joint is otherwise good, that’d be the cheapest solution.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's just a dust boot. If there's no play in the joint, I would just run it like that. Wouldn't hurt to grease the joint anyways. Some grease may still come out but some of it will still stay in.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Definitely cool to jam some grease in there and go on your trip, but I’d try and get a new boot at some point, if possible. I tore my boot on my front sway bar link and need to replace. Otherwise I feel like little rocks will get in there and grind stuff

Knows a Thing or Two
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    That's just a dust boot. If there's no play in the joint, I would just run it like that. Wouldn't hurt to grease the joint anyways. Some grease may still come out but some of it will still stay in.
    WjCO, can you give me the name of the part so that I can purchase it? I know it's not just a boot. I'm trying to do more of the little things on my JKU.

Quote Originally Posted by naysjp View Post
    WjCO, can you give me the name of the part so that I can purchase it? I know it's not just a boot. I'm trying to do more of the little things on my JKU.
    I just did a quick google and found this https://www.currieenterprises.com/jk-9703dlb

AutoZone sells universal ones that will work as well.

Knows a Thing or Two
    Quote Originally Posted by MericaMade View Post
    I just did a quick google and found this https://www.currieenterprises.com/jk-9703dlb

AutoZone sells universal ones that will work as well.
    I was googling images using "dust boot" "tie rod joint" for the proper name so that I didn't go in asking for a "dust boot" and the person just looks at me.

I was googling images using "dust boot" "tie rod joint" for the proper name so that I didn't go in asking for a "dust boot" and the person just looks at me.
    LOL..... yeah I know that look.

Dust boot or grease boot is what I would call it. Hopefully that link posted will work. I bet it would be hard to find just the boot at a parts store.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Dust boot or grease boot is what I would call it. Hopefully that link posted will work. I bet it would be hard to find just the boot at a parts store.
    The parts stores sell universal ones, so he could by a pack with several in it or he could take it off and try to find the exact size.

OP there’s usually a “help” section of small parts. I’d just tell them you need a dust boot for a Drag link end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast