Jeep JK Purchase Help.

Matt-tastic

Hello All!!! First post here and am admittedly not a Jeep owner yet. These damn things are hard to buy.
We've been looking for awhile and had a little push when a lady decided she thought my wife's care needed a little remodeling down the side about a month ago. The little car she had totalled and we thought it would be the perfect opportunity to pick up a Jeep. We've been renting them every time we get a chance whether it's a stripped down one from Enterprise or a brand new Rubi from one of the guys in Ouray / Montrose. So, we kinda decided we were looking for Red 13+ Rubicon to buy, drive stock until the tires wear out then build into a driver / trail rig. Ouray and Moab are probably the most difficult places I plan to run around so we were thinking it would be worth it to purchase the Rubicon over the Sahara as I'm thinking this Jeep will end up with a 3-4" lift, flat fenders, and 37's. The thought is that if we purchase the Rubicon we'd be good with running D44's with gussets and a truss for the 37's. This Jeep has the 3.73's in it but I imagine I'll need 4.88's or 5.13's when we move up to 37's anyway.

Here's where my problem begins. As I've been looking for these things, I've missed several over $500-$1500 at dealers. I'm not able to find a private party to attempt to purchase from. Currently I'm looking at a hard top only 15 Rubicon with a black top and fenders and 38k miles for $31k. It's bone stock and looks like it's maybe been down a gravel road at some point in it's life, but that's about it. It does have factory black heated leather and the Alpine stereo. The dealer is literally willing to miss me over $462. This seems insane to me. Am I crazy thinking I should be able to deal on these or am I looking a gift horse in the mouth here? I've probably bought 15 cars and 100 motorcycles in my life and have NEVER had this hard of a time finding a deal on something. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Reality is that Wranglers are in a sellers market. One of the few vehicles out there that are. Deals can be had but you have to be ready to jump on them as soon as they come up.
That doesn't sound like a bad deal at all.

WJCO

Meme King
Supply and demand.

Jeep=Demand.

A salesperson just recently told me: 'Every manufacturer has incentives. Jeep's incentive = You better buy it, because if you don't, someone else will.'

Coop

Caught the Bug
Supply and demand.

Jeep=Demand.

A salesperson just recently told me: 'Every manufacturer has incentives. Jeep's incentive = You better buy it, because if you don't, someone else will.'

Totally agree with this. Sounds like a good deal.
Find somebody who knows Jeeps and get a good look underneath. If it’s clean and straight, buy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fiend

Caught the Bug
Hello All!!! First post here and am admittedly not a Jeep owner yet. These damn things are hard to buy.
We've been looking for awhile and had a little push when a lady decided she thought my wife's care needed a little remodeling down the side about a month ago. The little car she had totalled and we thought it would be the perfect opportunity to pick up a Jeep. We've been renting them every time we get a chance whether it's a stripped down one from Enterprise or a brand new Rubi from one of the guys in Ouray / Montrose. So, we kinda decided we were looking for Red 13+ Rubicon to buy, drive stock until the tires wear out then build into a driver / trail rig. Ouray and Moab are probably the most difficult places I plan to run around so we were thinking it would be worth it to purchase the Rubicon over the Sahara as I'm thinking this Jeep will end up with a 3-4" lift, flat fenders, and 37's. The thought is that if we purchase the Rubicon we'd be good with

Here's where my problem begins. As I've been looking for these things, I've missed several over $500-$1500 at dealers. I'm not able to find a private party to attempt to purchase from. Currently I'm looking at a hard top only 15 Rubicon with a black top and fenders and 38k miles for $31k. It's bone stock and looks like it's maybe been down a gravel road at some point in it's life, but that's about it. It does have factory black heated leather and the Alpine stereo. The dealer is literally willing to miss me over $462. This seems insane to me. Am I crazy thinking I should be able to deal on these or am I looking a gift horse in the mouth here? I've probably bought 15 cars and 100 motorcycles in my life and have NEVER had this hard of a time finding a deal on something. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

I don’t know if this is legit or not. The mention of “Dana 22 axles” and the maintenance having been done in San Mateo (400 miles from Los Angeles) raises suspicions. But if it is not a scam and you’re not wedded to red, it’s a killer deal.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/los-angeles-2014-jeep-wrangler/6993569527.html

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
In February of this year I picked up a loaded 2017 JKUR Hard Rock edition, with about 13,000 miles, for $37,500. It was a private party sale so I did not have to pay sales tax which equates to saving about another $3k over a dealership purchase. It had never been in 4wd and never had the top or doors off.

Just before that I was negotiating with a dealer in Las Vegas for a 2017 JKUR (not Hard Rock edition) and the sale fell through over about a $500 difference between what I wanted to pay and what the salesman was willing to do. In the end, losing the dealership sale got me a better equipped Jeep, with less miles, for less total money.

Moral of the story...if I were you, I'd keep looking.

BaddestCross

In February of this year I picked up a loaded 2017 JKUR Hard Rock edition, with about 13,000 miles, for $37,500. It was a private party sale so I did not have to pay sales tax which equates to saving about another $3k over a dealership purchase. It had never been in 4wd and never had the top or doors off.

Just before that I was negotiating with a dealer in Las Vegas for a 2017 JKUR (not Hard Rock edition) and the sale fell through over about a $500 difference between what I wanted to pay and what the salesman was willing to do. In the end, losing the dealership sale got me a better equipped Jeep, with less miles, for less total money.

Moral of the story...if I were you, I'd keep looking.
DMV collects the sales tax based on the address of the owner when you transfer ownership here in CA. [emoji849]

Of course you can forget a zero on a private party sale when you file... Or at least that's what I hear. [emoji41]

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

trailraider

I have a buddy that ships a tonne south of the border the demand is so high. We get to sell for more then we would get in Canada , and you get to buy for less then you would pay there. He is doing about 15-20 a month. Might be an option if you can find a seller.

jdofmemi

I don’t know if this is legit or not. The mention of “Dana 22 axles” and the maintenance having been done in San Mateo (400 miles from Los Angeles) raises suspicions. But if it is not a scam and you’re not wedded to red, it’s a killer deal.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/los-angeles-2014-jeep-wrangler/6993569527.html

When I was looking for my Jeep, I came across a lot of very similar ads. It has scammer written all over it.

I decided after running around in circles with a few of these that there are no deals that good that are legit.

fiend

Caught the Bug
When I was looking for my Jeep, I came across a lot of very similar ads. It has scammer written all over it.

I decided after running around in circles with a few of these that there are no deals that good that are legit.

Yeah. $10k under market seems fishy .... I was looking for “salvage” title but didn’t see it.

Matt-tastic

Thanks for all your help guys! You all have to hear this shit though. After breaking down and agreeing to full asking plus a doc $300 doc fee last night with the salesman I get a call this morning from a sales manager that says the price was not correct and they'd need a couple more thousand to sell it. I didn't get the feeling these guys were a shady car dealership and I'm not sure they are, but this whole thing seemed like the epitome of a shitty shady deal. Admittedly, I can't help but be a little angry over the deal, but in the end , I guess no harm was done except for about 12hrs I was excited about the fact that I had found a Jeep and the hunt was over. Pic in lieu of bait and switch google review.

Attachments

• Jeep.jpg
    Jeep.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 123
Sorry to hear that man. Keep looking though. The issue is that a lot of people can't afford the JL Rubicon so they are buying up gently used JKs. Once used JLs start to be more common I have the feeling the old model price will go down. I was curious so I stopped by my local dealer yesterday and they had one used 2016 JKUR for $35,500. It had 25k miles and had every option besides the hard rock package. That is probably they type of price you will find at most dealers.

Thanks for all your help guys! You all have to hear this shit though. After breaking down and agreeing to full asking plus a doc $300 doc fee last night with the salesman I get a call this morning from a sales manager that says the price was not correct and they'd need a couple more thousand to sell it. I didn't get the feeling these guys were a shady car dealership and I'm not sure they are, but this whole thing seemed like the epitome of a shitty shady deal. Admittedly, I can't help but be a little angry over the deal, but in the end , I guess no harm was done except for about 12hrs I was excited about the fact that I had found a Jeep and the hunt was over. Pic in lieu of bait and switch google review.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Sorry to hear that man. Keep looking though. The issue is that a lot of people can't afford the JL Rubicon so they are buying up gently used JKs. Once used JLs start to be more common I have the feeling the old model price will go down. I was curious so I stopped by my local dealer yesterday and they had one used 2016 JKUR for $35,500. It had 25k miles and had every option besides the hard rock package. That is probably they type of price you will find at most dealers.

I haven't looked at prices and inventories of used jeeps, but my initial thought was that the JK/JKR used inventories would increase and prices would decrease because of people trading up to the JL or JT platforms... Although I guess it makes sense that a lot of people are using this opportunity to upgrade to a JK, thus offsetting the inventories.

Anyways, good luck OP! Hope the perfect jeep lands in your lap soon.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug

Try Carvana. They’re pricing is final but there’s no extra fees added on. You also can drive it for a week and return it, no questions asked. You can even finance thru them.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

Honestly, if your DMV regulates dealerships (it does in Nevada) then I would send the information about this dealership to the DMV with the pricing bait and switch that they tried to stick you with. What they did is illegal.

Top Bottom