Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stubborn Check Engine Light

Fresh Catch

Stubborn Check Engine Light

My check engine light has been on for about 2 and a half months now. First, I had no codes but changed my gas cap out: no change. Next, I actually threw codes for idle air intake so I replaced that. Now, I have no codes but the light persists. I have cleaned my air filter, checked all connections, and both o2 sensors are about a year old. My only other guesses, codes or not are, are either a) I need a new MAP sensor or, b) I need to replace my dash cluster. According to the dealership, this is $90 vs $1250, respectively. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by welwillie80 View Post
    My check engine light has been on for about 2 and a half months now. First, I had no codes but changed my gas cap out: no change. Next, I actually threw codes for idle air intake so I replaced that. Now, I have no codes but the light persists. I have cleaned my air filter, checked all connections, and both o2 sensors are about a year old. My only other guesses, codes or not are, are either a) I need a new MAP sensor or, b) I need to replace my dash cluster. According to the dealership, this is $90 vs $1250, respectively. Any ideas?

If there's a light on there's a code. Get a better scanner.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Fresh Catch
    I've used a cheap scanner and had a friend use his professional grade scanner. No codes.

I've used a cheap scanner and had a friend use his professional grade scanner. No codes.

There’s gotta be a code, think about it.
    Why throw a check engine light if there’s no code.
    Does it same anything at the odometer? Like instead on miles does it maybe say “no bus”

Mike honcho himself

Fresh Catch
    I'm telling yall....there is no code active, pending, or stored. Once I had a check engine light on intermittently because of an electrical component that needed to be replaced in the dash itself.

Have you tried clearing codes to remove the light? Does the light come right back or just not go off?

If the lights on it should be throwing up something. Maybe a messed ups witch that controls the check engine light... I'm really curious what you find.

Maybe check battery cables. I know the dash lights will do some crazy shit if they are even slightly loose. That's all I got, hope you figure it out soon.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo82 View Post
    Have you tried clearing codes to remove the light? Does the light come right back or just not go off?

If the lights on it should be throwing up something. Maybe a messed ups witch that controls the check engine light... I'm really curious what you find.
    I've cleared them numerous times. I had a different guy use his scanner and it finally came back as evap. I replaced the purge solenoid and still on. Next step is vapor canister.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazbyt View Post
    Maybe check battery cables. I know the dash lights will do some crazy shit if they are even slightly loose. That's all I got, hope you figure it out soon.
    This was an issue a while back. Looking into it.

I've cleared them numerous times. I had a different guy use his scanner and it finally came back as evap. I replaced the purge solenoid and still on. Next step is vapor canister.

Lol, I hate the codes because even if you get a code you're still trying to guess what out of the 15 things in that system tripped the code!

For evap related stuff my goto first fix would be the gas cap. Purge solenoid and vapor canister are also potential offenders so I think you're on the right page. Obviously start chasing hoses and whatnot of none of those are fix it... Good luck man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast