EAST Meets WEST: August 2020 Moab/Telluride Planning Thread

wjtstudios

Hooked
Since Drummond in August of this year, it has been an on going discussion of getting as many of the Eastern Jeeps together and head west and meet up with as many of the Western Jeeps as we can get together in Moab and Telluride. Meeting some of the most genuine people I've had the pleasure of knowing over the last couple of years thru WAYALIFE and enjoying amazing adventures with them is by far the best part of this community. For so many of us on the eastern half of this Great Country, we haven't had the chance to meet and run with the Western half and what better place to do that but in the Mecca of Jeeps, Moab! So the goal of this run is to get as many of the WAYALIFE members together in Moab and Telluride and put faces to the names and share on hell of an adventure in some of the most beautiful lands this country has to offer.

This thread is just for discussion, interest, advice, and timing. Once we have a solid direction in place, I will start a new thread with all the details, schedules, etc.

The Plan as of now:

Other than it being hot in Moab, we are looking at the first two weeks in August (July 30 thru August 11th.). For those of us with kids in school, doing it any other time of year isn't an option, so it has to be summer. Any sooner and we run the risk of the passes not being open in Telluride, so August really is the best month for the run. What I am thinking, and this is where I need everyone's input, is that we will have 3-4 days in Moab for trails. After that, taking a 2-3 day break to see a couple of the Nation Parks, (Arches, Canyonlands, and others) as we head for Telluride. Then running in Telluride for 2-3 days. After that we pack up and trek back home. So we will be in the Moab/Telluride area for 8-10 days. For most of us, we will need at least 2 days of travel at each end getting the Jeeps back and fourth totaling 12-14 day trip. As we start getting the dates worked out, I want to try to get the main trail days lined up over the weekends. August 1-4 for Moab trails and August 7-9 for Telluride to be able to pull as many Western Jeeps in as we can verses having our main trail days be in the middle of the week. We'll save those days, August 5-7, for seeing the NPs and relocating to Telluride. This way, anyone that needs to shorten up the trip for themselves and easily do that and hopefully we will have a good turnout from both sides.

We need to figure out lodging in each location. Which bucket list trails we are going to run. Which national Parks to hit. Transportation of the Jeeps, families, and supplies. Food, Bars, parts, and the list goes on. For the Western Jeeps, this is less of a concern, but for me and the Eastern Jeeps, this is quickly becoming an trek of epic proportions!

Let the planning begin! So, who's in??

Tentative Schedule:
Depart the East July 30th
Arrive in Moab July 31st
Moab Trail Days August 1-4
Utah National Parks August 5-6
Head to Telluride/Ouray August 7
Telluride/Ouray Trail Days August 7-9
Depart for Home August 10
Arrive back in the East August 11

Moab Trails to Discuss:
Poison Spyder
Elephant Hill
Cliff Hanger
Top of the World
White Rim
Golden Spike
Gold Bar Rim
Rusty Nail
Hells revenge
Behind the rocks

Colorado Trails to Discuss:
Black Bear
Imogene
Poughkeepsie Gulch
Corkscrew Gulch
Engineer Pass
Red Mountain Pass
Clear Lake
Ophir Pass

Whos might be going:
(Since its so far out, this is going to change)

East:
1. wjtstudios confirmed thru Moab (Sorry Gents)
2. Ddays + 1 confirmed
3. JKbrick (will be kidnapped and dragged to Moab)
4. Weebz confirmed
5. Rst8rox. Out
6. 19yj94. Confirmed
7. Clutch Out
8. Coop. Out
9. jorgelrod. Out.
10. MSJKU11 Out
11. Open
12. bouche03 out for now
13. Primo2. Out
14. Critter812 Out
15. nbunga confirmed
16. Dale72. Out
17. bmkrine Confirmed
18. Dustonfromohio Out
19. Redknight15. Out
20. Dixie wolf Out
21. Mattznpc Out
22. Jcrieck1 Out
23. JeffJ. Out
24. J&K_overland confirmed +1
25. Chris1015 Out
26. Highoctane Out

West:
1. RESURECTIONJK Out
2. Fiend out
3. jdofmemi Confirmed
4. BaddestCross Out
5. jesse3638 Out
6. Jsouder53 Out
7. bhaner confirmed
8. Rubidave. Out
9. RockinAZJK out
10. Bierpower 8th-9th
11. MountainJK Out
12. Bananajeep Out
13. Tricky8 Out
14. Napalm out
15. H8Roads TBD
16. AgBasd01 Out
17. Jedifletch confirmed
18. Samuelh3 Out
19. Mericamade confirmed thru Moab +5
20. G659pilot Out
21. H8ROADS Out
22. KevinG Out

Last edited:
In! I’ll be making a Rubicon trip soon after but Moab is close enough I can swing it and I’ve never been wheeling in CO.

Ddays

Hooked
horshack3.jpg

Of course I'm in!

I would suggest we nail the dates we'll be in the areas first so that we can make our accomodations. It's 10 months away but I bet some of the more popular spots will fill up first.

I'd also like to start with the furthest area first like you listed above- Moab, so that the drive home is pretty much a day shorter.

As far as trails, man, I'll run anything. Two in Moab that I'd really like to run are Pritchett Canyon and Top of the World. I'll do anything else anyone wants to run.

I'd love to hear suggestions from the Colorado folks on what are the best trails to run there.

SON OF A BITCH I"M ALREADY EXCITED!

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
View attachment 336155

Of course I'm in!

I would suggest we nail the dates we'll be in the areas first so that we can make our accomodations. It's 10 months away but I bet some of the more popular spots will fill up first.

I'd also like to start with the furthest area first like you listed above- Moab, so that the drive home is pretty much a day shorter.

As far as trails, man, I'll run anything. Two in Moab that I'd really like to run are Pritchett Canyon and Top of the World. I'll do anything else anyone wants to run.

I'd love to hear suggestions from the Colorado folks on what are the best trails to run there.

SON OF A BITCH I"M ALREADY EXCITED!

Couldn’t agree more on getting these dates pinned down for a lot of reasons. Let’s let this roll for a bit and see what everyone is thinking, but that’s the first thing we need to do.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

fiend

Caught the Bug
Sounds good. I can’t do my usual spring trip to Moab in 2020 because my kids now have different spring breaks. It’ll be hot as hell in August, but we’ll make it work. Will be fun to get East and West (and points in between) together.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Weebz

Caught the Bug
It goes without saying I’m in. I’ve been all over Bill since Drummond for this so I am a giddy little
kid seeing it here in writing. As I said earlier, I’m happy to help coordinate where I can.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Sounds good. I can’t do my usual spring trip to Moab in 2020 because my kids now have different spring breaks. It’ll be hot as hell in August, but we’ll make it work. Will be fun to get East and West (and points in between) together.

It’s going to be hot, but worth it and help keep the crowds down! Hope to meet you out there!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
It goes without saying I’m in. I’ve been all over Bill since Drummond for this so I am a giddy little
kid seeing it here in writing. As I said earlier, I’m happy to help coordinate where I can.

Thanks for pushing me along! It has begun!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
I'm ok staying anywhere but it would be handy to have a couple places to store tops/doors, etc. and also have a place to wrench when necessary, even though I will NOT be replacing axle shafts by then :D

There are a ton of options on VRBO/Airbnb, etc and the rates are reasonable in August. in some cases cheaper than hotels.

It'd also me great to have a place(s) we can all gather to have cookouts & just hang out in the evenings

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ll be renting a condo for sure. We can you that as a base camp/ storage for the run.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Brute

Hooked
Damn!...I’m going to be in Russia 2nd week of August...let me think about this, would like to make it somehow...or part of it. Very interested in the CO portion...

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Wishful thinking here, but I’m subscribing nonetheless.

I think Cliffhanger, Top of the World, and White Rim trail in Canyonlands are my top picks in UT.

Alpine Loop and Poughkeepsie.

I’d need to hike a 14er while I’m there.

Top Bottom