Oddyssey Extreme Dead, 2.5 years old!

rmilobrown

Hey Guys, I've always run the motor while winching or using the air compressor. Alternator is good and I've never drained it by leaving something on. What I didn't do was put it on a charger to keep it at full charge, which is what the Oddyssey manual recommends. What do you guys think about this. Good news was the 4 yr warranty was excepted without issue. Also my start pack jumped me and I got home!

HAPPYTRAILS

Sounds like a short life for something that price. Seems like warranty’s good though, do they send you a new one or a refurb one?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

rmilobrown

I bought it from Amazon. They gave me a choice of full refund or new replacement. I can't complain about the service!

HAPPYTRAILS

Just curious but they want you to put it on a charger how often? I have never charged my Odyssey batteries unless I am leaving them unused for weeks and never had issues.

Hey Guys, I've always run the motor while winching or using the air compressor. Alternator is good and I've never drained it by leaving something on. What I didn't do was put it on a charger to keep it at full charge, which is what the Oddyssey manual recommends. What do you guys think about this. Good news was the 4 yr warranty was excepted without issue. Also my start pack jumped me and I got home!

HAPPYTRAILS

rmilobrown

The manual states for long life, the battery should be kept at full charge of 12.8 volts. I never worried about it either, but now I will because I WANT long life out of a $300 dollar battery! Lol.

HAPPYTRAILS

jeeeep

Hooked
i've run an Odyssey for 3 years and when I don't drive my Jeep for a couple of weeks, the battey has drained dead a few times.

In my case, i'm pretty sure it was the winch.

Since i don't use the winch much, I've disconnected one of the cables and haven't had drain issues.

Make sure you use the proper size charger for the battery. My standard battery charger didn't do much after a couple of days to charge the Odyssey battery.

Ddays

Hooked
I've got a dead cell in mine and I'm trying to get replaced under warranty. Issue is that I bought mine through Amazon and they won't handle - saying I have to contact Odyssey directly.
Currently waiting on response from them.

I'd recommend at least a trickle charger to keep the charge topped off. That should be sufficient. I use Battery Tenders on my vehicles with good luck.

The manual states for long life, the battery should be kept at full charge of 12.8 volts. I never worried about it either, but now I will because I WANT long life out of a $300 dollar battery! Lol.

HAPPYTRAILS

Alternators charge at like 14, if you drive your vehicle this should never be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

fiend

Caught the Bug
Sounds like an exception. I had a sears Platinum (which is just a rebranded Odyssey) for four or five years. My Jeep is not a daily driver and I never had it on a trickle charge. It could go weeks without driving and the battery would still be fine. Last year I installed the Genesis system, with dual odyssey’s. Same thing: driven once or twice a month, no trickle charger, no problems. The auxiliary battery runs down a bit because of the ARB fridge, but the starting battery does not. I still have the old sears battery. Recently a AAA guy came out to jump start my wife’s car and I had him check the Sears battery. Still good, according to him.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
My X2 batteries have a 5 year warranty and I had to replace them at 2 years. I'm starting to think that with the hotter temps in Florida maybe are killing it faster, I don't know. At least they didn't flinch about replacing the two units.

rmilobrown

Thanks for your input guys! I have a Smart charger by NOCO and will use it, see if I can keep it at 12.8v. Ddays, sucks to hear about your Amazon issue! Luck of the draw on phone reps? My guy didn't blink, I told him that it didn't pass an anylizer test. He asked how I would like to be refunded! No need to return the battery! Maybe you could just call back again and try another rep.

HAPPYTRAILS

Top Bottom