Metal bikini top

Truckerjohn

I was thinking about making a metal bikini top for my TJ that would be permanently mounted on the top of the roll bars. That way i could let down the top and still have shade from the sun without having to put on and take off a bikini top every time. The thought was to powder coat it black or even use line-X to seal the metal. Anyone ever done something like this before?

Sent from my RS988 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I was thinking about making a metal bikini top for my TJ that would be permanently mounted on the top of the roll bars. That way i could let down the top and still have shade from the sun without having to put on and take off a bikini top every time. The thought was to powder coat it black or even use line-X to seal the metal. Anyone ever done something like this before?

Sent from my RS988 using WAYALIFE mobile app
It's done all the time. I think Genright might even make a kit. Why not get a Spidershade or the like? Great shade and less permanent. You can leave it on under the top if you want also.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Truckerjohn

It's done all the time. I think Genright might even make a kit. Why not get a Spidershade or the like? Great shade and less permanent. You can leave it on under the top if you want also.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
I dont want to shell out $500 for one and have a friend with a metal fab shop who can make me one. Just wanted to see if anyone had done this before and had any advice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Aren’t the spidershades only like $90?

You can get one brand new for as little as $60. My 2 door Jkini was $60 brand new but found one basically new on Facebook for $30. The ones that cover that back seat as well are $90

Steve936

KOH racers and rock crawlers use aluminum all the time for roofs. Wouldn’t be hard to fab one up.

But Spiderwebshades do work well and you can’t beat the price.

Would be easy enough to fab. Could even get fancy with it, pickup an extra header bar and build it into that for an easy attach and removal. A few racing style speed clips (like motorcycle style 1/2 turn fasteners) to the roll bar and you’re good to go. Not sure about finish though what would be best to reflect heat. I wouldn’t want bare aluminum above me just for reflections/ blinding reasons.

I also run a sunshade all summer under the soft top, it does a pretty good job but if you’re looking for complete coverage it isn’t the answer. Would be easy to make a fabric cover instead of mesh like the sub shades in the same attaching method

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:
Top Bottom