A couple WJ Questions

jjlong

My daughter has a WJ and lives in the mountains. It has Highway tires on it now and I'd like to give her something more mud/snow appropriate. So here's my question, does the WJ have the same 5x5 lug pattern as the JK? Also, if I find a set of take off Rubicon wheels and tires would you suggest a small budget boost lift to fit the 32's?
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
My daughter has a WJ and lives in the mountains. It has Highway tires on it now and I'd like to give her something more mud/snow appropriate. So here's my question, does the WJ have the same 5x5 lug pattern as the JK? Also, if I find a set of take off Rubicon wheels and tires would you suggest a small budget boost lift to fit the 32's?
Thanks.

WJ and JK same lug pattern. For 32s, yes you'll need some kind of lift. If you get the Rubicon BFG mud terrains with the wheels, start looking for a different tire. They do not do well in the snow. Pretty sure you'll need wheel spacers too, can't remember if I did when I first got 32s.

Here's a 4 inch lift with 32" JK takeoffs.

light bar (2).jpg

Last edited:
Does she stay mainly on the road? You cannot beat a dedicated snow tire, I absolutely love Blizzaks, they’re just amazing at what they allow you to grip to.

My lowered 2000 fwd Jetta with blizzaks could out drive any of my 4x4s with all terrains mud terrains and all seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jjlong

WJ and JK same lug pattern. For 32s, yes you'll need some kind of lift. If you get the Rubicon BFG mud terrains with the wheels, start looking for a different tire. They do not do well in the snow. Pretty sure you'll need wheel spacers too, can't remember if I did when I first got 32s.

Here's a 4 inch lift with 32" JK takeoffs.

View attachment 336355
Thanks WJCO. Your WJ has a nice stance with a 4" lift! Thanks for the advice on the BFG'S. Is there a lift and tire you would recommend? Also, can I get by with a puck lift and 32's? She doesn't do anything more than a few dirt fire roads but I don't want mess up her steering characteristics.

jjlong

Does she stay mainly on the road? You cannot beat a dedicated snow tire, I absolutely love Blizzaks, they’re just amazing at what they allow you to grip to.

My lowered 2000 fwd Jetta with blizzaks could out drive any of my 4x4s with all terrains mud terrains and all seasons.

Yes, mainly just road driving, but she also drives down the Mountain a lot where there's no snow. Want to get her a tire that can fit both scenario's

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks WJCO. Your WJ has a nice stance with a 4" lift! Thanks for the advice on the BFG'S. Is there a lift and tire you would recommend? Also, can I get by with a puck lift and 32's? She doesn't do anything more than a few dirt fire roads but I don't want mess up her steering characteristics.

I would go Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs myself. If mine wasn't dedicated as a trail rig, that's what I'd be running for sure. Honestly, on a WJ, keep it as low as possible if you can. I don't know fore sure if 32s would fit with just a 2 inch budget boost, but if it doesn't fit perfectly, and you aren't afraid to trim a little, do it. You can always add a little bump stop spacer if tires hit the fender.

Also, when I got my JK take offs, they were almost brand new with lots of tread. I got all 5 wheels and tires for $300.00 on CL. I'd imagine they're still out there at that price.

jjlong

I would go Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs myself. If mine wasn't dedicated as a trail rig, that's what I'd be running for sure. Honestly, on a WJ, keep it as low as possible if you can. I don't know fore sure if 32s would fit with just a 2 inch budget boost, but if it doesn't fit perfectly, and you aren't afraid to trim a little, do it. You can always add a little bump stop spacer if tires hit the fender.

Also, when I got my JK take offs, they were almost brand new with lots of tread. I got all 5 wheels and tires for $300.00 on CL. I'd imagine they're still out there at that price.
Thanks. She only needs tires, so maybe I'll skip the lift and just buy her the appropriate size tire. Probably cheaper than a larger used tire/lift/spacers.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
On my WJ I ran 31.5” tyres on a 2” coil lift and it was a little tight on the rear shock bodies. It was also very tight on the fender liners at full stuff. That was on Rubicon wheels and no spacers.

You could probably get away with 32s on a 2” lift.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes, mainly just road driving, but she also drives down the Mountain a lot where there's no snow. Want to get her a tire that can fit both scenario's

Snow tires aren’t just for “snow” common misconception, they’re most effective under 45* on any surface. Contrary to popular belief they also DON’T wear any extra at higher temperatures like the snow tire’s of the past. Although a dedicated summer tire will have better traction in higher temperatures. If the mountains and dirt roads are where she is 90% of he time I wouldn’t think twice about running them.
TireRack has done extensive track tests with them if you look through their articles and results. They will however wear faster than an all season / all terrain because they have a softer compound much like mud terrains do, however mud terrains mostly suck in snow as they have big lugs and normally are a wide tire in snow and ice you want a skinny tire.
People swear by BFG a/t but I absolutely hated them in the winter had to be in 4high in my ZJ all the time. My cooper stt pro m/t have way better winter grip than the bfg’s ever did which honestly a wide mud tire should never have better traction in snow and ice than a skinny all terrain. I really hated them.
Some like the duratracs for winter, but again all season tires are ok in all and great in none.

IMG_4781.jpg

Top Bottom