Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radiator fluid level going down and trans fluid level going up

Radiator fluid level going down and trans fluid level going up

Iíve been battling this for a number of months. My trans was running hot most of the summer to the point where it boiled out of the dip stick hole. I had been checking the fluid level, which was high but didnít pay any attention to it since the dealership did the fluid swap. After it boiled over I pulled as much fluid I could, 5 quarts, out of the dip stick hole and replaced it with only 3 quarts to the point where was at the ideal marks on the dip stick. Temps immediately when down to normal and drove great. I blamed it on the dealership overfilling it.

Now a month has past, still running cool, but I checked the trans fluid level and is now well above the hot temp marks even after the Jeep has sat for 24 hours. I also checked my coolant level and it was down below the min line.

I was always under the assumption that the trans cooler was trans fluid based and not coolant based and the two systems were separate. All that I can figure is that radiator fluid is finding itís way into the transmission to have these fluid levels changing. But how is this possible??

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

I donít see how the two could intermingle. I know some vehicles have the trans cooler integrated into the radiator, but isnít the JK a separate cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I could be wrong about that since I have a real Jeep with a manual.

Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    Iíve been battling this for a number of months. My trans was running hot most of the summer to the point where it boiled out of the dip stick hole. I had been checking the fluid level, which was high but didnít pay any attention to it since the dealership did the fluid swap. After it boiled over I pulled as much fluid I could, 5 quarts, out of the dip stick hole and replaced it with only 3 quarts to the point where was at the ideal marks on the dip stick. Temps immediately when down to normal and drove great. I blamed it on the dealership overfilling it.

Now a month has past, still running cool, but I checked the trans fluid level and is now well above the hot temp marks even after the Jeep has sat for 24 hours. I also checked my coolant level and it was down below the min line.

I was always under the assumption that the trans cooler was trans fluid based and not coolant based and the two systems were separate. All that I can figure is that radiator fluid is finding itís way into the transmission to have these fluid levels changing. But how is this possible??

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    I don't know how that's possible for the tranny fluid to cross over into the rad - the tranny cooler is independent of it. It's mounted in front of the rad and there are no tranny line connections going into it. Unless there's some lines that I don;t know about.

I had this issue with a Pathfinder we had a while ago and it had coolant lines that passed through the rad. The lines ate out and allowed the fluids to cross over and the clutch linings were destroyed by the coolant. But the symptoms were apparent as the tranny started slipping and making rumbling noises similar to what it sounds like when running over rumble strips on the side of the road. Do you have any other symptoms besides the fluid rising?

I agree completely. Iím at at total loss here. There are no signs of a coolant leak, no smell.

But one fluid is going up and one is going down and it doesnít make any sense.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Bill is there any way the transfer case can empty into the trans? Same fluid I believe

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    I don't know how that's possible for the tranny fluid to cross over into the rad - the tranny cooler is independent of it. It's mounted in front of the rad and there are no tranny line connections going into it. Unless there's some lines that I don;t know about.

I had this issue with a Pathfinder we had a while ago and it had coolant lines that passed through the rad. The lines ate out and allowed the fluids to cross over and the clutch linings were destroyed by the coolant. But the symptoms were apparent as the tranny started slipping and making rumbling noises similar to what it sounds like when running over rumble strips on the side of the road. Do you have any other symptoms besides the fluid rising?
    I had exactly the same thing happen to one of my hummers. But it turns the fluid into a strawberry milkshake and thatís not happening.

No other symptoms, shifts perfectly. Temps are at 168 consistently, even on the highway after I swapped the fluid. But something is causing the fluid level to rise. I havenít done any water crossing since the swap either.

Completely stumped here.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Quote Originally Posted by JKbrick View Post
    Bill is there any way the transfer case can empty into the trans? Same fluid I believe

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I donít believe so. Both, units are sealed and if fluid was coming from the TC, it would struggle to change between 2 and 4 and itís perfectly smooth.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    I don’t believe so. Both, units are sealed and if fluid was coming from the TC, it would struggle to change between 2 and 4 and it’s perfectly smooth.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    Have you traced the lines just to eliminate the possibility of a cross-connection. I can't believe anyone could cross connect the two but dumber things have happened at dealerships.

One other possibility is to drain it again & see if you only get 3 quarts out of it? If you get more than you put into it last time, somehow you have something cross connected.

Lots of vehicles have a cooler built into the radiator but also an aux cooler in front of the rad for additional cooling. I havenít worked on a 2015 as he has tho.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Have you traced the lines just to eliminate the possibility of a cross-connection. I can't believe anyone could cross connect the two but dumber things have happened at dealerships.

One other possibility is to drain it again & see if you only get 3 quarts out of it? If you get more than you put into it last time, somehow you have something cross connected.
    I think if they had crossed the lines it would have toasted the trans like it did on our other vehicles a long time ago. They did the fluid and filter swap 16 month ago at 50k. Itís now at 78k and It hasnít been to the dealer since.

I replaced the radiator and thermostat in the spring, but thereís no way of combining the systems in that process.

IMG_2182.jpg

Hereís a picture of the dip stick. When I refilled it last month, it was right in the middle of the two lines. Now itís above the step on the stick.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast