Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hole in oil pan

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    That'd be pretty hard to accomplish unless there was a catastrophic failure. And for that to happen twice?

Attachment 336539
    Yep. I was trying to brainstorm why the hole would appear in the same location twice. Throwing bolts internally seems unlikely to hit the same spot twice. It's sounding more like the hole was patched and the latch failed, as was suggested by others.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Quote Originally Posted by 19YJ94 View Post
    As fun as that can be, mines running good. Maybe we can pull out your electrical system/wiring harness?
    Lol, that’s next if this tipm doesn’t work

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    I hear some shops just rtv the hole...

Only if it looks like a weld bead

I've had this happen to me. A while back I had a truss welded onto the axle and went wheeling where I bent my upper control arm. The axle shifted back and the truss ran into my oil pan. Didn't notice until I was heading home on the freeway and the engine cut and I found the oil trail going down the road.

Okay, I think I finally have all the answers to this debacle. He says his mechanic told him the bolt holding the lower timing chain sprocket came out causing the initial hole in the front, which he told me last month he had a new head and timing chains installed because of a collapsed lifter and stuck valve, this i did not know. The second hole was actually not in the same place, it was actually the weep hole in flywheel cover he was seeing. After they replaced the oil pan and "bolt", they failed to seal the pan in the rear properly which started pouring oil. Thanks for all the helpful tips though, he had me stumped when he was explaining all this to me.
    2007 "Steel Blue" JK Sahara
    2012 Silver JKU RHD(sold)
    2016 Hydro Blue JKU RHD(sold)
    2017 Chief Blue JKU RHD

Quote Originally Posted by bhawghead View Post
    ... the bolt holding the lower timing chain sprocket came out causing the initial hole in the front, which he told me last month he had a new head and timing chains installed because of a collapsed lifter and stuck valve,
    So is he going to take the oil pan bill to the first shop that did the timing chain work and have them pay for it? Sounds like they left a bolt loose when they did the timing repair.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by bhawghead View Post
    Okay, I think I finally have all the answers to this debacle. He says his mechanic told him the bolt holding the lower timing chain sprocket came out causing the initial hole in the front, which he told me last month he had a new head and timing chains installed because of a collapsed lifter and stuck valve, this i did not know. The second hole was actually not in the same place, it was actually the weep hole in flywheel cover he was seeing. After they replaced the oil pan and "bolt", they failed to seal the pan in the rear properly which started pouring oil. Thanks for all the helpful tips though, he had me stumped when he was explaining all this to me.
    I recommend he not look in the bottom of the barrel for a mechanic. These issues will continue to happen if he hires morons! Good luck to your friend on his warranty/small claims case!

Edit: Being mostly sarcastic but god damn that's some shitty work.

Glad it got solved and you are lucky the engine held together.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123