Hole in oil pan

bhawghead

My neighbor has a 2014 jk and recently had his engine overheat and start pouring smoke, after pulling over he sees oil pouring out the front of his engine and he looks and sees a quarter size hole in the top front of his oil pan, his shop said a bolt must have come out and came thru the oil pan, they replaced the oil pan and to his knowledge that is it. I know, i know.....i told him something had to come loose and create the hole, bolts aren't just free flowing throughout the engine, he just looks at me with a dumbfounded look. Well, long story short he gets it back today drives about 2.5hrs, and it does the exact same thing. What would be loose in the FRONT section of the engine right behind the balancer that could be knocking a hole in his oil pan, oil pick up maybe?

WJCO

Meme King
First find out which way the hole is protruding. See if something from the inside outward did it or if something on the outside is hitting it.

jdofmemi

My first thought is never go back to that shop.

I've never been inside of one of these to know what might be suspect, but something is obviously coming apart. That said, there is nothing inside of any engine that can afford to loose a bolt or two without being on a short road to total destruction.

I can't believe a reputable shop would not investigate far enough to find the source.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Makes you wonder if the shop PATCHED the hole and the patch failed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I'd love to see a pic of this. I agree with WJCO, identify which way the protrusion occurred. I also agree withe above statement. If the engine is flinging bolts at high RPMs it is not going to be a functional engine much longer... Your friend sleeping around with anyone's wife by chance? Sounds so strange it could be intentional..

Jkratt

Should anything come apart in the bottom end of an engine, engine life ends. As the crank moves around anything loose would make a lot of noise. I agree, I would love to see a picture. Just does not make any sense. I really don't know what would be hitting the pan from the outside either. I would shake everything under the jeep near the pan to see if anything is broken or loose.

Please keep us posted when you find out what it is.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
This is so weird that it actually has my attention. With CSI Colorado in here it’s almost better than watching TV now!

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
If some object just shot through my oil pan, I would definitely be tearing most of the engine apart to find the source.

Noble Woodsman

The oil pickup tube is near the center of the oil pan, not the front. Maybe a link from the timing chain came loose? I'm not sure there would be enough force from an ejected bolt or chain link to punch through the oil pan, but i could be wrong. Is there something on the axle or diff that hits the oil pan during suspension travel? Pictures would be helpful.

jeeeep

Hooked
great shop there for not trying to figure out what caused the hole, what's the name? i want to take my Jeep there for repairs :doh:

Spazbyt

Hooked
1e6886f422d225fc9a3a8943f641579fe402ec8a.jpeg

Oh, That? Simple fix. You just need a new oil pan.

Top Bottom