Radio audio out!

Elleinad0790

My radio stations are lit up, but no audio. My cd audio is working and my xm radio audio works. We tried the battery trick (unplugging) to reset the radio but nothing... any idea what’s up? How do I get my radio back on! 2012 jk stock radio. First and only owner. No mods or anything like that to radio.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
First off, welcome to Wayalfe.

Which head unit do you have? 430 with NAV?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Noble Woodsman

Do you have audio when you try plugging something into the AUX jack? When you say no audio, do you mean silence or just static?

If audio is only out when using AM/FM radio, i would check the AM/FM antenna connection in the rear of the unit. XM radio uses a separate antenna. If it was related to the speakers and amp circuit, then i would expect sound to either work for all sources or none of them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
There’s a fan on the stock radios. Little computer cooling fan. It’s the weak link on the radio. Mine was done after 2 years. When that fan goes, so do your radio stations. Bluetooth, sat, cd all still work, can’t answer why, but if you want radio stations, you’ll need to replace the stock radio, which will run you around $580-$600 and it’s only going to happen again.
Some who’ve had this problem usually pick up the Alpine and have it installed for about half that price. Hope this helps.

Elleinad0790

There’s a fan on the stock radios. Little computer cooling fan. It’s the weak link on the radio. Mine was done after 2 years. When that fan goes, so do your radio stations. Bluetooth, sat, cd all still work, can’t answer why, but if you want radio stations, you’ll need to replace the stock radio, which will run you around $580-$600 and it’s only going to happen again.
Some who’ve had this problem usually pick up the Alpine and have it installed for about half that price. Hope this helps.

Any idea how to confirm it’s the fan?

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
For the signs and symptoms, that’s the diagnosis. I can tell you that with the dash removed, I can’t hear the fan running, but that portion is still recessed in a sleeve even with the dash off.

b1pig

curious if you got this cured.
Mine did that. I found that the antenna cable has a coupler on mine under the glove box. One of us managed to kick it loose one night. I had the same issue with a stock 6-disk radio. All other sources worked fine, but no sound over the am/fm source. I found the cable separated under the glove box and plugged them back together.

Mine is a 2007. Not sure if there would be a difference in that cable on yours.

Top Bottom