What Oil do you use on your Jeep?

WJCO

Meme King
I run the simple parts store stuff. I've always used basic cheap oil (excluding newer German cars because they're picky). All oils should have an SAE grade. I still change it every 3 months or 3000 miles.

bmkrinne

Any oil that meets the OEM specs should perform well given routine oil changes. The Synthetic oil change frequency is a little longer than conventional oils but you pay more for the synthetic oils. I personally run Mobil 1 in all my vehicles with a 7k oil change frequency, but have run Dino oil at 4K oil change frequency successfully for a long time as well.

I would choose synthetic oil in the jeeps for trail use due to lower rpms, extended idling, and higher engine temps. The synthetic oils will out perform Dino oils - more resistance to thermal breakdown.

The real question is what oil filter are you using? Don’t go cheap on them, ever! Look at the efficiency ratings, as you want one >99%. Pay the extra few $ for a high efficiency filter.

Also keep your air filter changed with a quality filter. A dirty air filter will cause elevated oil particulate counts and with a shitty oil filter results in accelerated engine wear (bearings, rings, cylinder walls, rockers, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Any oil that meets the OEM specs should perform well given routine oil changes. The Synthetic oil change frequency is a little longer than conventional oils but you pay more for the synthetic oils. I personally run Mobil 1 in all my vehicles with a 7k oil change frequency, but have run Dino oil at 4K oil change frequency successfully for a long time as well.

I would choose synthetic oil in the jeeps for trail use due to lower rpms, extended idling, and higher engine temps. The synthetic oils will out perform Dino oils - more resistance to thermal breakdown.

The real question is what oil filter are you using? Don’t go cheap on them, ever! Look at the efficiency ratings, as you want one >99%. Pay the extra few $ for a high efficiency filter.

Also keep your air filter changed with a quality filter. A dirty air filter will cause elevated oil particulate counts and with a shitty oil filter results in accelerated engine wear (bearings, rings, cylinder walls, rockers, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
I agree on spending extra $ to keep it longer, I saw the name but I forgot it. I'll look at it today after work and post a picture of it. I'm still updating my Jeeps booklet, on things I have and what I use, in case something happens in the future.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Mobil 1 every 5000 miles. That way I can't screw up the interval. & forget when it needs changed.

I usually get a couple cases at Costco when they put it on sale for $26 a case

I run the simple parts store stuff. I've always used basic cheap oil (excluding newer German cars because they're picky). All oils should have an SAE grade. I still change it every 3 months or 3000 miles.
German cars are being more and more picky with oils, filters, check ups, maintenance etc.

I'll look into the SAE grade! Thank you

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Primo82

Caught the Bug
My jeep is about a year old. I've been taking it to the stealership for it's maintenance intervals, not sure what they use there. I did get 4 free oil changes/tire rotations through the jeep wave program so I'll at least take burn up those freebies there. Don't know if I'll keep taking it to the stealership through the first ~5 years of warranty or do it myself. The few times I thought I had a warranty claim it was considered user error, so not trying to give them any reason not to uphold the more critical warranties...

Top Bottom