Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on new tires

Help on new tires

Iím finally getting some upgrades on my JKU. Recently got some new rims and now getting tires. Curious what peopleís thoughts on E rated tires. Iím really in love with the BFG KO2 at 33x12.5x17 but it only comes in the E rating. My brother in law as the same tire and has no problems. I like the width of the tire and it sounds like having extra sidewalk material isnít a bad thing. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    E rated tires will have less flex and a stiffer ride. More resistant to punctures and scrapes. All depends how you use it.

I think youíll be happy with the E rated tire. If you find it to be too stiff a ride you can always adjust your air pressure and you should be fine. And as stated, itíll resist punctures better.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I'm currently running 315/70R17 Cooper Discovery STT PRO, I wasn't sure at first, but they handle the road great, off road is great and going through water and mud without you needing to counter steer incase the jeep hydroplanes. I love mine, they aren't loud, do somewhat hear the noise on highways, but on the road you don't. Also mine are soft thread to last longer.

This what I have, but mine are 35's. 20191013_222451.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    My Jeep goes vroom vroom

Quote Originally Posted by Bear_JKU View Post
    I think youíll be happy with the E rated tire. If you find it to be too stiff a ride you can always adjust your air pressure and you should be fine. And as stated, itíll resist punctures better.

Thatís what I figured. Sounds like it should have more rubber in the sidewalls so will be tougher to puncture

Adjustments.jpg

Got the tires in and they look good! Definitely like I lost a little on gas mileage but I guess that means itís time for an air intakeIMG_0940.jpgIMG_0941.jpg

Caught the Bug
    Tires look good.

An air intake isn't going to get you any better gas mileage. But it will allow more dirt in to the engine, so you have that going for you....

Quote Originally Posted by vasquez27 View Post
    Adjustments.jpg

Got the tires in and they look good! Definitely like I lost a little on gas mileage but I guess that means itís time for an air intakeIMG_0940.jpgIMG_0941.jpg

Looks good. I donít think an air intake is going to do much for you to get back fuel mileage. Are you hand calculating your fuel milage or going off the gauge display?

Quote Originally Posted by Bear_JKU View Post
    Looks good. I donít think an air intake is going to do much for you to get back fuel mileage. Are you hand calculating your fuel milage or going off the gauge display?

I was going off my average miles per gallon on my dash. It went down 0.6mpg but I do notice a loss in torque. Maybe the intake will help make up for the loss in torque? Any recommendations on affecting gas mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by vasquez27 View Post
    I was going off my average miles per gallon on my dash. It went down 0.6mpg but I do notice a loss in torque. Maybe the intake will help make up for the loss in torque? Any recommendations on affecting gas mileage?

Did you or the shop adjust for the new tire size in the Jeep's computer? Even at 33s, the difference will throw off the speedometer, MPG reading, and shift points.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast