Help on new tires

vasquez27

I’m finally getting some upgrades on my JKU. Recently got some new rims and now getting tires. Curious what people’s thoughts on E rated tires. I’m really in love with the BFG KO2 at 33x12.5x17 but it only comes in the E rating. My brother in law as the same tire and has no problems. I like the width of the tire and it sounds like having extra sidewalk material isn’t a bad thing. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

E rated tires will have less flex and a stiffer ride. More resistant to punctures and scrapes. All depends how you use it.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I think you’ll be happy with the E rated tire. If you find it to be too stiff a ride you can always adjust your air pressure and you should be fine. And as stated, it’ll resist punctures better.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I'm currently running 315/70R17 Cooper Discovery STT PRO, I wasn't sure at first, but they handle the road great, off road is great and going through water and mud without you needing to counter steer incase the jeep hydroplanes. I love mine, they aren't loud, do somewhat hear the noise on highways, but on the road you don't. Also mine are soft thread to last longer.

This what I have, but mine are 35's. 20191013_222451.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

vasquez27

I think you’ll be happy with the E rated tire. If you find it to be too stiff a ride you can always adjust your air pressure and you should be fine. And as stated, it’ll resist punctures better.

That’s what I figured. Sounds like it should have more rubber in the sidewalls so will be tougher to puncture

Tires look good.

An air intake isn't going to get you any better gas mileage. But it will allow more dirt in to the engine, so you have that going for you....

Bear_JT

Hooked

vasquez27

Looks good. I don’t think an air intake is going to do much for you to get back fuel mileage. Are you hand calculating your fuel milage or going off the gauge display?

I was going off my average miles per gallon on my dash. It went down 0.6mpg but I do notice a loss in torque. Maybe the intake will help make up for the loss in torque? Any recommendations on affecting gas mileage?

BaddestCross

I was going off my average miles per gallon on my dash. It went down 0.6mpg but I do notice a loss in torque. Maybe the intake will help make up for the loss in torque? Any recommendations on affecting gas mileage?

Did you or the shop adjust for the new tire size in the Jeep's computer? Even at 33s, the difference will throw off the speedometer, MPG reading, and shift points.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Bear_JT

Hooked

I use a Superchips Flashpaq to recalibrate my speedo, and tire size. Also adds a little extra pep until I can regear. The only other engine mod I’ve done is make up a quiet crawler exhaust with dynomax parts. If you go off road frequently, you can’t beat the filtration from the factory filter.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Wait, your seriously complaining about .6mpg.........

vasquez27

I use a Superchips Flashpaq to recalibrate my speedo, and tire size. Also adds a little extra pep until I can regear. The only other engine mod I’ve done is make up a quiet crawler exhaust with dynomax parts. If you go off road frequently, you can’t beat the filtration from the factory filter.

Is the chip the only way to get it adjusted?

vasquez27

There are a few different tools that will do it. The cheapest being a relatively new app with a Bluetooth dongle you plug into the Jeep to do the updates. JScan or something is the name... Search the forum, there's a long thread about it.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Thanks for the recommendation, I found the thread. Definitely seems like a cheaper option if I’m just looking to adjust tire size

Top Bottom