Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SUPER UNIMPRESSED with Milestar Patagonia M/Ts

Thumbs up SUPER UNIMPRESSED with Milestar Patagonia M/Ts

Okay, I just got back from the JL/JT Experience and have to say that I'm SUPER UNIMPRESSED with Milestar Patagonia M/Ts! In fact, I would go so far as to say that they SUCK or at least, out in the east coast where rocks are super slick and the need for traction is paramount. I mean, I can't believe there are guys out there who try and suggest otherwise. And full disclosure here, no, I've never been a fan of Patagonias being that they're china tires but really, seeing them in action or lack there of spoke volumes to me. Skyjacker was running a set on their JT with a Hellcat and they struggled like hell to get up obstacles that Randy, PSC or I was able to clear with ease. And, before you blame the driver, Lonnie is a long time and experienced driver. In fact, Chris Durham was running a set as well on his JK and if it weren't for his raw talent behind the wheel, he would of had just as much trouble. It really is sad to me that so many "influencers" out there have been able to church up these tires as being the next best thing since sliced bread especially being the only thing they've got going for them is that they're cheap. Of course, that's just my opinion, based on what I've seen and you all can take it for whatever it's worth.

Here's a shot of Skyjacker desperately looking for traction.

SUPER UNIMPRESSED with Milestar Patagonia M/Ts

Yeah they burn well though fenders on their rig is not my thing either

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Andy5160 View Post
    Yeah they burn well though fenders on their rig is not my thing either
    Too funny and no, can't say I'm a fan of the fenders either.

From someone who currently made the mistake to try them out (my reasoning was just for the size 38s I wanted something a bit taller then a 37) they are garbage and do not last. I have 11,500 miles on them and have done a 5 tire rotation every 2-3k and they are wearing so fast. They are very hard to keep from cupping and are sensitive to pressure. They are loud and hard very uneven when it comes to balance. Some take 5 ounces other 25 ounces. I even have 2 that are out of round looking like a bent axle shaft. I bought these tires with my money and wanted to give feedback. I highly recommend not buying them to save a few bucks. In the long run it will cost you more. Iíve always ran Nitto and wow this was a big eye opener that not all tire are created the same. I wonít ever make that mistake again.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Not "living" but "loving" life always!

Quote Originally Posted by JK_b/c_yolo View Post
    From someone who currently made the mistake to try them out (my reasoning was just for the size 38s I wanted something a bit taller then a 37) they are garbage and do not last. I have 11,500 miles on them and have done a 5 tire rotation every 2-3k and they are wearing so fast. They are very hard to keep from cupping and are sensitive to pressure. They are loud and hard very uneven when it comes to balance. Some take 5 ounces other 25 ounces. I even have 2 that are out of round looking like a bent axle shaft. I bought these tires with my money and wanted to give feedback. I highly recommend not buying them to save a few bucks. In the long run it will cost you more. Iíve always ran Nitto and wow this was a big eye opener that not all tire are created the same. I wonít ever make that mistake again.
    I know you were struggling quite a bit on the trip as well. At least, more so than I think you would have with a different set of tires. I have seen the cupping problem on other Jeeps and actually talked to Milestar about it. They told me that the Patagonias are designed to be ran on the crown and require that you inflate them to 35 psi or more for better wear...

I have run a lot of different tires over the years and while I used to think that Goodyear MT/R's were the worst MT you could buy, I think Milestar Patagonias have just taken their spot. And, before all the fanboys out there accuse me of making this post because Milestar wouldn't give me free tires, let me just say, they couldn't pay me to run them.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I know you were struggling quite a bit on the trip as well. At least, more so than I think you would have with a different set of tires. I have seen the cupping problem on other Jeeps and actually talked to Milestar about it. They told me that the Patagonias are designed to be ran on the crown and require that you inflate them to 35 psi or more for better wear...

I have run a lot of different tires over the years and while I used to think that Goodyear MT/R's were the worst MT you could buy, I think Milestar Patagonias have just taken their spot. And, before all the fanboys out there accuse me of making this post because Milestar wouldn't give me free tires, let me just say, they couldn't pay me to run them.
    After the first day of being embarrassed by running them I realized quickly I need to run them around 5psi where most of the rigs were 12-15 it get the traction needed. It required a lot more wheel speed then I was comfortable with on stock axles. The hardest part is on a trip like this you are pushed for time and where some could head down the road without airing up I was nervous to do so on cheap tires at that pressure requiring me to feel rushed to get them aired up when others didnít need to worry. Never again, I hope others learn from my mistakes. Iím glad I tried them because it made me truly appreciate how much quality and research Nitto puts in their tires! If someone is telling you Pats are a great tire they didnít buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by JK_b/c_yolo View Post
    After the first day of being embarrassed by running them I realized quickly I need to run them around 5psi where most of the rigs were 12-15 it get the traction needed. It required a lot more wheel speed then I was comfortable with on stock axles. The hardest part is on a trip like this you are pushed for time and where some could head down the road without airing up I was nervous to do so on cheap tires at that pressure requiring me to feel rushed to get them aired up when others didnít need to worry. Never again, I hope others learn from my mistakes. Iím glad I tried them because it made me truly appreciate how much quality and research Nitto puts in their tires! If someone is telling you Pats are a great tire they didnít buy them.
    Come to think of it, I did see you spend a lot of time airing up. I guess I know why now.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that Durham had his tread custom cut to help them along.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Come to think of it, I did see you spend a lot of time airing up. I guess I know why now.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that Durham had his tread custom cut to help them along.
    I believe you are correct. They were the Durham specials

IMG_6636.jpg
    One of the locals has a set on his (very beautiful) LJ. Heís also locked front and rear. Thereís been times that heís sat there and spun trying to get them to bite, then I come up to the obstacle (mind you Iím open/BLD, running 37/12.50 STT Pros with like 20% tread left) and I walk it. Some of the shit Iíve gotten those STTs to hook on has been mind blowing, even with low tread. Just when you think youíre gonna break traction, it grabs and goes.

I also second the statement about MTR Kevlars. Had them on my JK for a while. Never ever again

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread
    2019 Compass Sport Build Thread

So funny how these seem to be the sexy tire to run for the overlanding crowd. I've seen a few Jeeps running them and all of the drivers I asked how they like them all raved about them. Of course they do. They work going to the local REI and Starbucks with their roof racks loaded with kayaks and shit they never use

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast