Thread: Aggressive "shaking" in 4th gear. 6 spd manual

Fresh Catch

Aggressive "shaking" in 4th gear. 6 spd manual

I have a 2012 manual Unlimited and when I am in 4th gear and give it gas the Jeep shakes aggressivly. I first noticed it the other day when I was just cruising in 4th and gave it gas to get up to speed. If I gradually get up in speed everything is fine and shifts in and out of gear smoothly, its more when I get on the gas pedal. When i ease off it gies away and then does it again if i "gun" it. If anyone has any insight that would be great! Thanks!

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Does the shifter shake or is the entire jeep shaking. Only ever happens in 4th? Going through all the other gears and rpm ranges no other issues? Do you hear a loud clicking/snapping or a thumping feel like an impact gun? If you’re going like 25 shift Into 5th and floor it does the rpm go up?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    Does the shifter shake or is the entire jeep shaking. Only ever happens in 4th? Going through all the other gears and rpm ranges no other issues? Do you hear a loud clicking/snapping or a thumping feel like an impact gun? If you’re going like 25 shift Into 5th and floor it does the rpm go up?

the entire jeep shakes and i can only recreate it in 4th. All other gears work great. I dont hear anything except the jeep shaking. I will have to get back to you on the 5th gear and RPMs.

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    I think you have a driveshaft angle or balance issue that comes on at certain speeds/rpm and that’s just normally in 4th when it happens. Without more specific trans symptoms I doubt it’s a broken teeth or other internal issues.
    Could also be clutch chatter of a dieing clutch (especially if slipping) depending on your definition of aggressive shaking.
    Take a video if you can, will help to understand. .

I agree on driveshaft or driveshaft u joint issue. I would suggest pulling the front drive shaft and seeing if you still have the vibrations. Good luck!!