Transmission question

Abntroop

There are a lot of you on here who have some serious wrenching skills so I figured I’d ask this after watching eddies thoughts on the cross country vid. Seems like this new 8 spd transmission makes a huge difference paired with the 3.6 in the new JL. I know it certainly does in our WK2, and after driving a JL sport, a JL Sahara, and gladiator loaners through each of our service visits this summer with Carson Jeep, the difference is very noticeable. Dimensionally is that trans the same size as the one in the JK? Would it be possible to put that trans in the JK? Could the ecm in the JK be reprogrammed to run that trans? Or would you want a JL ecm?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

There are a lot of you on here who have some serious wrenching skills so I figured I’d ask this after watching eddies thoughts on the cross country vid. Seems like this new 8 spd transmission makes a huge difference paired with the 3.6 in the new JL. I know it certainly does in our WK2, and after driving a JL sport, a JL Sahara, and gladiator loaners through each of our service visits this summer with Carson Jeep, the difference is very noticeable. Dimensionally is that trans the same size as the one in the JK? Would it be possible to put that trans in the JK? Could the ecm in the JK be reprogrammed to run that trans? Or would you want a JL ecm?

No, it can’t be done.

What’s the cost difference between selling your jku and getting a jlu. I promise it’s less than getting a brand new transmission. Rewiring an entire Jeep to make it work. And also the headaches of ever having to repair a Frankenstein hack together job of a project down the road. Plus labor.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It’s possible. AMW4x4 has a kit to make it happen. It’s not worth his asking price though.

If it was $2500-3000 it would be in my Jeep already. It’s a lot more than that.

Exodus 4x4

It’s possible. AMW4x4 has a kit to make it happen. It’s not worth his asking price though.

If it was $2500-3000 it would be in my Jeep already. It’s a lot more than that.

I didn’t know he made one. It would take a lot of work even with a kit and even then, I wouldn’t trust it to work 100%.

Abntroop

The BCM and ECM are completely different. Can it be done? Anything can with enough will. Hardly worth the effort.

I imagined it would be cheaper than an LS or hemi swap. Just a different approach to solving the lack of drive ability power once you go past 37’s. Very surprised to see the immediate negative responses, and references to reliability or a Frankenstein machine as at the end of the day any power plant swap falls into that same vein and yet a lot of folks still do it.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE

I imagined it would be cheaper than an LS or hemi swap. Just a different approach to solving the lack of drive ability power once you go past 37’s. Very surprised to see the immediate negative responses, and references to reliability or a Frankenstein machine as at the end of the day any power plant swap falls into that same vein and yet a lot of folks still do it.

Not negative, realistic.

Exodus 4x4

Everything you said is true. The difference being that when you do a V8 swap you end up with a V8 and in the LS case, a 6 speed transmission. If the cost of the swap ends being $10k all in, I’d hardly call that worth it. Might as well trade up to a JL at that point.

Top Bottom