Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission question

Transmission question

There are a lot of you on here who have some serious wrenching skills so I figured Id ask this after watching eddies thoughts on the cross country vid. Seems like this new 8 spd transmission makes a huge difference paired with the 3.6 in the new JL. I know it certainly does in our WK2, and after driving a JL sport, a JL Sahara, and gladiator loaners through each of our service visits this summer with Carson Jeep, the difference is very noticeable. Dimensionally is that trans the same size as the one in the JK? Would it be possible to put that trans in the JK? Could the ecm in the JK be reprogrammed to run that trans? Or would you want a JL ecm?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Matthew Nicholas
    The Wampa- 16 JK Rubicon Hard Rock
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the RECOMMENDED-Jeep-Parts-amp-Accessories section of this forum will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Fresh Catch
    I was hoping someone who knows would reply to you. I would think that would be a great modification for the JKs.

Quote Originally Posted by Abntroop View Post
    There are a lot of you on here who have some serious wrenching skills so I figured Id ask this after watching eddies thoughts on the cross country vid. Seems like this new 8 spd transmission makes a huge difference paired with the 3.6 in the new JL. I know it certainly does in our WK2, and after driving a JL sport, a JL Sahara, and gladiator loaners through each of our service visits this summer with Carson Jeep, the difference is very noticeable. Dimensionally is that trans the same size as the one in the JK? Would it be possible to put that trans in the JK? Could the ecm in the JK be reprogrammed to run that trans? Or would you want a JL ecm?

No, it cant be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    No, it cant be done.

Yet?

Quote Originally Posted by JKbrick View Post
    Yet?

The BCM and ECM are completely different. Can it be done? Anything can with enough will. Hardly worth the effort.

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Whats the cost difference between selling your jku and getting a jlu. I promise its less than getting a brand new transmission. Rewiring an entire Jeep to make it work. And also the headaches of ever having to repair a Frankenstein hack together job of a project down the road. Plus labor.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Transmission question

Its possible. AMW4x4 has a kit to make it happen. Its not worth his asking price though.

If it was $2500-3000 it would be in my Jeep already. Its a lot more than that.

RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37 Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5 Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40 Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Its possible. AMW4x4 has a kit to make it happen. Its not worth his asking price though.

If it was $2500-3000 it would be in my Jeep already. Its a lot more than that.

I didnt know he made one. It would take a lot of work even with a kit and even then, I wouldnt trust it to work 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    The BCM and ECM are completely different. Can it be done? Anything can with enough will. Hardly worth the effort.

I imagined it would be cheaper than an LS or hemi swap. Just a different approach to solving the lack of drive ability power once you go past 37s. Very surprised to see the immediate negative responses, and references to reliability or a Frankenstein machine as at the end of the day any power plant swap falls into that same vein and yet a lot of folks still do it.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE
    Matthew Nicholas
    The Wampa- 16 JK Rubicon Hard Rock
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the RECOMMENDED-Jeep-Parts-amp-Accessories section of this forum will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abntroop View Post
    I imagined it would be cheaper than an LS or hemi swap. Just a different approach to solving the lack of drive ability power once you go past 37s. Very surprised to see the immediate negative responses, and references to reliability or a Frankenstein machine as at the end of the day any power plant swap falls into that same vein and yet a lot of folks still do it.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE
    Not negative, realistic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast