Help replacing tired suspension (not another lift thread)

Tatrhed

Hello everyone! A little history so the actual question makes sense. Finally got back into a jeep after a couple years with a 2007 2 door with 4.10 with manual tranny. It only has 67k miles BUT it was used as a tow vehicle behind an RV so Im sure suspension has over 100k easy on it. The tires are in decent shape but should be replaced in the next few months. I do not rock crawl and will use it as destination vehicle to trailheads, camping spots, fishing holes, kayak drops, etc. Some of those trips will be 300-400 mile road trips to different trail heads. I also have a small kayak/camping trailer I'll pull with it. Nothing as fancy as some you. Just a little jet ski trailer with a platform. That said, I have done the research and plan on running 255/80r17 (currently running 265/70r16). I'll likely go with the teraflex 1.5 coil lift (unless y'all know of others that short and recommend). I had 33x10.50's on my last 2 door JK and ripped the rear fender off with no lift. If I rub after that I'll look at some sort of flat fender option.

So to the main question...

Knowing the above, how would you go about revamping/rebuilding the suspension? Just replacing all of the bushings? Replacing the control arms that have bushings in them? Track bar?

WJCO

Meme King
If you go with teraflex, your suspension will be even more tired than it is now. I would look for a simple budget boost or even the Evo leveling kit.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hello everyone! A little history so the actual question makes sense. Finally got back into a jeep after a couple years with a 2007 2 door with 4.10 with manual tranny. It only has 67k miles BUT it was used as a tow vehicle behind an RV so Im sure suspension has over 100k easy on it. The tires are in decent shape but should be replaced in the next few months. I do not rock crawl and will use it as destination vehicle to trailheads, camping spots, fishing holes, kayak drops, etc. Some of those trips will be 300-400 mile road trips to different trail heads. I also have a small kayak/camping trailer I'll pull with it. Nothing as fancy as some you. Just a little jet ski trailer with a platform. That said, I have done the research and plan on running 255/80r17 (currently running 265/70r16). I'll likely go with the teraflex 1.5 coil lift (unless y'all know of others that short and recommend). I had 33x10.50's on my last 2 door JK and ripped the rear fender off with no lift. If I rub after that I'll look at some sort of flat fender option.

So to the main question...

Knowing the above, how would you go about revamping/rebuilding the suspension? Just replacing all of the bushings? Replacing the control arms that have bushings in them? Track bar?

If your really not planning on doing any wheeling with it I would look for a set of used factory springs and shocks (maybe off a rubicon) for cheap and then do a small spacer lift (any brand will do since they are all polyurethane pucks) to get the height you want. This will save you some cash and still provide a stock ride. I would only replace control arms if the bushings are torn completely and only do other components if they have play in them

Tatrhed

If your really not planning on doing any wheeling with it I would look for a set of used factory springs and shocks (maybe off a rubicon) for cheap and then do a small spacer lift (any brand will do since they are all polyurethane pucks) to get the height you want. This will save you some cash and still provide a stock ride. I would only replace control arms if the bushings are torn completely and only do other components if they have play in them

My “wheeling” is mostly dirt/gravel roads that can get washed out and ant not necessarily bladed frequently and in maintained roads to hiking trails.

Here is a shot at each side track bar and one of a control arm to give you an idea.

IMG_2065.jpg
IMG_2066.jpg
IMG_2067.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My “wheeling” is mostly dirt/gravel roads that can get washed out and ant not necessarily bladed frequently and in maintained roads to hiking trails.

Here is a shot at each side track bar and one of a control arm to give you an idea.

I would just go with what I mentioned then. Find a used stock suspension and add a small spacer to it. Then add your 33’s and you will be set.

Control arm bushing looks good but you would need to check the rest of them. As for the drag link (that wasn’t your trackbar you sent a pick of) it visually looks ok but you need to see if it has any play in it. It’s a ball a socket joint so it will rotate a little but it shouldn’t have vertical play in it.

Tatrhed

If you go with teraflex, your suspension will be even more tired than it is now. I would look for a simple budget boost or even the Evo leveling kit.

Thanks for that. I guess I got sucked into the whole “suspension only, no pucks for more travel” but if I’m honest, I’m not as hardcore as a lot of the guys here. I’m not set up for my Jeep to contort in ways that puts the front tire above the roof. I have liked EVO for long time.

JKbrick

Thanks for that. I guess I got sucked into the whole “suspension only, no pucks for more travel” but if I’m honest, I’m not as hardcore as a lot of the guys here. I’m not set up for my Jeep to contort in ways that puts the front tire above the roof. I have liked EVO for long time.

I may know of a set of spacers available soon, let me ask Arrcherr

Leeboy03

If you want to go with stock rubicon springs, I have a set with about 4K miles on them. You can have them for shipping cost.

They are from a 4 dr, so they should give you a little extra height. I also have the stock shocks if you are interested

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Even though the EVO Kit is front springs and rear spacers, you’ll be surprised how much better it will ride. That being said, Cozdude’s idea would also be fine, if you can find a cheap used set.

Tatrhed

I would just go with what I mentioned then. Find a used stock suspension and add a small spacer to it. Then add your 33’s and you will be set.

Control arm bushing looks good but you would need to check the rest of them. As for the drag link (that wasn’t your trackbar you sent a pick of) it visually looks ok but you need to see if it has any play in it. It’s a ball a socket joint so it will rotate a little but it shouldn’t have vertical play in it.

Thanks for the education! Sorry I just saw this as I was going back through replies.

schnauzer

I would look around for 4 door springs with the tow package, i forget the part numbers though. Maybe someone can chime in. I did this on my wife’s last 2 door and it resulted in about 1 inch of lift.

Top Bottom