Jk big brake kit and 15" wheels?

UncleBud

As the title states has anyone tried this combo? I'm wondering if theres a magic back spacing combo that will allow for clearance of the brake caliper. I'm needing to run the j8 brake rotors and I'm contemplating cutting down the diameter of the rotor to the factory jk 11.9" if it wont fit. (I'm running 5x5.5" bolt pattern which is why I need the different brakes) thanks for any input ;)

UncleBud

Easiest solution...17” wheels. Dynatrac Progrips were close on the wheels I had, at that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is going to sound stupid but... if I run 17s I'm going to have to run 40s on my rig for it to look right. I'm looking at 15s so I can run a 37x14.5r15 toyo mt. This isnt going on a jeep but I'm most deffinatly using a jeep front axle.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yeah, so close that the weights added inside the wheels need to be installed out line with the caliper.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
Jk big brake kit and 15" wheels?

This is going to sound stupid but... if I run 17s I'm going to have to run 40s on my rig for it to look right. I'm looking at 15s so I can run a 37x14.5r15 toyo mt. This isnt going on a jeep but I'm most deffinatly using a jeep front axle.

No, your good. Most of the Jeeps you see on here are running 17s. Whether they are running 33s or 40s. 17s basically are the standard.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

UncleBud

After looking at the pictures of the rotors theres deffinatly no cutting them down to factory height. I'm going to pull one of the rotors off my dads jeep and see how much clearancing it would need for the bigger unit bearing. Thanks for the input guys!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Any issues with Progrips on 17” KMc machetes ? Seems like a common combo . Hoping no surprises before I go to install next weekend .

Dynatrac has a size template, and information on some popular wheels on their website, if I remember correctly. It really isn’t that big of a deal, to give the calipers a little haircut if you have to, though.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Were you running any spacers? I was thinking 1.75" spacers would give me enough backspacing with factory 17" wheels. Thanks

Wheels had 4.75” backspace. I really only ground a little off, so the existing tape weights wouldn’t rub. It was a tight fit, so I didn’t want weights to get knocked off, if a shop changed them around a little. It isn’t a big deal to grind a little off of a caliper.

UncleBud

For anyone interested. My j8 5x5.5 unit bearing came in. Making it work with the factory brakes just isnt worth it to me. The brake rotor would have to be opened up along with the unit bearing would still need to be turned down. The diameter of the new unit bearing is a quite a bit larger.

Top Bottom