Strange noises manual tranny/ transfer case seepage?

rich67

Caught the Bug
So I have a 13 JKU that has about 85k on it. In the past year I have noticed a strange metallic vibration sound coming from under the Jeep while driving in 1st and sometimes in second; more prevalent when I am cruising around slowly in a parking lot or at a fast food drive thru (that's really the best likeness I could find). :cool: I know the manual is a loud and clunky proposition on a Jeep from the get-go, but I am wondering if maybe a clutch upgrade is in order. It still shifts pretty well, and I have no issues with clutch slippage. If I had to describe it, it sounds like a thin piece of metal vibrating on another thin piece of metal. It goes away at highway speed.
I also noted some dripping from my transfer case (exact origin unknown) that has left some gunk on the skid plate, but never anything on my driveway. I have a leveling kit and the stock front driveshaft; I am thinking that may have something to do with it. I am thinking I need to do a front driveshaft upgrade sometime soon, but how can I tell if that is the culprit? Is there some kind of telltale sign I can root around for?

I would start by checking to see if any heatshields are touching where they shouldn’t be.

Is the clutch chattering/shuddering when you take off from a stop

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

rich67

Caught the Bug
I would start by checking to see if any heatshields are touching where they shouldn’t be.

Is the clutch chattering/shuddering when you take off from a stop

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

No clutch shuddering. It shifts fine, and there is a rattle-but it’s coming from the gearshift lever more so than the tranny.

Top Bottom