Thread: Strange noises manual tranny/ transfer case seepage?

Strange noises manual tranny/ transfer case seepage?

So I have a 13 JKU that has about 85k on it. In the past year I have noticed a strange metallic vibration sound coming from under the Jeep while driving in 1st and sometimes in second; more prevalent when I am cruising around slowly in a parking lot or at a fast food drive thru (that's really the best likeness I could find). I know the manual is a loud and clunky proposition on a Jeep from the get-go, but I am wondering if maybe a clutch upgrade is in order. It still shifts pretty well, and I have no issues with clutch slippage. If I had to describe it, it sounds like a thin piece of metal vibrating on another thin piece of metal. It goes away at highway speed.
    I also noted some dripping from my transfer case (exact origin unknown) that has left some gunk on the skid plate, but never anything on my driveway. I have a leveling kit and the stock front driveshaft; I am thinking that may have something to do with it. I am thinking I need to do a front driveshaft upgrade sometime soon, but how can I tell if that is the culprit? Is there some kind of telltale sign I can root around for?
    2013 Commando Green JKU
    6 Speed/3.73

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    I would start by checking to see if any heatshields are touching where they shouldn’t be.

Is the clutch chattering/shuddering when you take off from a stop

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    I would start by checking to see if any heatshields are touching where they shouldn’t be.

Is the clutch chattering/shuddering when you take off from a stop

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    No clutch shuddering. It shifts fine, and there is a rattle-but it’s coming from the gearshift lever more so than the tranny.
    2013 Commando Green JKU
    6 Speed/3.73

Has similar noise and was the heat shield.

Good luck
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon
    2.5" AEV, Andvanced Offroad front and rear Bumpers, Smittybilt XO2 winch, AEV Snorkel
    33" Cooper STT Pro's