Thread: New Tires/Wheels Jk/JL

New Tires/Wheels Jk/JL

Iím looking to buy either 35/12.5/17 or 315/70/17 tires with a 17X8 wheel. I currently have a 2014 Rubicon but will be upgrading to a JL in the semi-near future (1-2 years). The idea is that I will swap the 35Ēs to the JL rubicon when I upgrade.

So the question is, do you guys have any input on which wheels and offset I should go with? I know the JL rubicon has wider wheels so I donít want to get a ridiculous offset and then put them on the JL and they look crazy wide. My previous wrangler had a nice offset that stuck out approximately 1Ē past the fenders and I really liked that look. I have 1.5Ē wheel spacers right now that I wouldnít mind keeping on the JK with the new wheels and tires, which Iím assuming is about the same width the new JLR axles would add. Any thoughts?

Also, am I crazy to run 35Ē tires with 3.73 gears? Unfortunately my rubicon was ordered by the original owner with the higher gear ratio and I REALLY donít want to regear... I donít want to throw money into a Jeep I donít intend to keep longer than a year or two. I assume the 4 to 1 low range should help with the crappy gears off-road. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hooked

New Tires/Wheels Jk/JL

I have a Ď12 JKUR with AEV Savegre wheels on BFG KO 315/70R17 Tires and am running 3.73 gears. The wheels have 5.2Ē backspace and stick out very little (OEM BS is 6.25Ē). No rubbing with the AEV 2.5Ē lift and 2Ē bump stops.

IMG_0001.jpg

The Jeep isnít a dragster but the round town driving is good on the 3.73ís but highway is sluggish. Would be a lot better with 4.56 or 4.88 gears. Yes, the 4:1 TCase is very nice off road in 4 low. 4H is sluggish though.

As for transferring the wheels to the JL, they are both 5x5, but some differences with the JL such as backup camera interference and larger diameter factory lug nuts. May have to use a thin wall socket.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Last edited by bmkrinne; 10-25-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks for the response! I think Iíll try the 35s with the 3.73 and just see what happens. If I HAVE to regear, I have to regear.

You will survive

Fresh Catch

Tires

What type of tires are you planning to buy?

Fresh Catch
    Did you try 35s with the 3.73, how's the performance? Is it good? Any review on it would be good, it would be great if it is an in depth review like this Sun Joe SPX3000 Review I recently bought.
    Last edited by Convivial; 01-04-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Convivial View Post
    Did you try 35s with the 3.73, how's the performance? Is it good?
    35s on 3.73s isnít that bad. You wonít be breaking any land speed records and our cornering Corvettes, but itís certainly livable. Iíd say try it, and if itís not good enough, then save up for a regear.

Here it is in my 2015
    IMG_0816.JPG

35s on my 3.21s on a 2016. I did not care for this!
    IMG_2209.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Convivial View Post
    Did you try 35s with the 3.73, how's the performance? Is it good?
    Thatís what Iím running right now. Itís terrible on any incline. Straight highway is really good I can do close to 80mph and have 2k rpm but man get to any incline and truckers could be passing you haha .

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by bmkrinne View Post
    I have a Ď12 JKUR with AEV Savegre wheels on BFG KO 315/70R17 Tires and am running 3.73 gears. The wheels have 5.2Ē backspace and stick out very little (OEM BS is 6.25Ē). No rubbing with the AEV 2.5Ē lift and 2Ē bump stops.

IMG_0001.jpg

The Jeep isnít a dragster but the round town driving is good on the 3.73ís but highway is sluggish. Would be a lot better with 4.56 or 4.88 gears. Yes, the 4:1 TCase is very nice off road in 4 low. 4H is sluggish though.

As for transferring the wheels to the JL, they are both 5x5, but some differences with the JL such as backup camera interference and larger diameter factory lug nuts. May have to use a thin wall socket.

Looks like a good set up to me. My buddy recently got a JKUR project we'll work on right after we finished installing the brake kit and cst suspension on the current truck project. I'll show him your set up.