New Tires/Wheels Jk/JL

I’m looking to buy either 35/12.5/17 or 315/70/17 tires with a 17X8 wheel. I currently have a 2014 Rubicon but will be upgrading to a JL in the semi-near future (1-2 years). The idea is that I will swap the 35”s to the JL rubicon when I upgrade.

So the question is, do you guys have any input on which wheels and offset I should go with? I know the JL rubicon has wider wheels so I don’t want to get a ridiculous offset and then put them on the JL and they look crazy wide. My previous wrangler had a nice offset that stuck out approximately 1” past the fenders and I really liked that look. I have 1.5” wheel spacers right now that I wouldn’t mind keeping on the JK with the new wheels and tires, which I’m assuming is about the same width the new JLR axles would add. Any thoughts?

Also, am I crazy to run 35” tires with 3.73 gears? Unfortunately my rubicon was ordered by the original owner with the higher gear ratio and I REALLY don’t want to regear... I don’t want to throw money into a Jeep I don’t intend to keep longer than a year or two. I assume the 4 to 1 low range should help with the crappy gears off-road. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bmkrinne

I have a ‘12 JKUR with AEV Savegre wheels on BFG KO 315/70R17 Tires and am running 3.73 gears. The wheels have 5.2” backspace and stick out very little (OEM BS is 6.25”). No rubbing with the AEV 2.5” lift and 2” bump stops.

IMG_0001.jpg

The Jeep isn’t a dragster but the round town driving is good on the 3.73’s but highway is sluggish. Would be a lot better with 4.56 or 4.88 gears. Yes, the 4:1 TCase is very nice off road in 4 low. 4H is sluggish though.

As for transferring the wheels to the JL, they are both 5x5, but some differences with the JL such as backup camera interference and larger diameter factory lug nuts. May have to use a thin wall socket.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

Convivial

Did you try 35s with the 3.73, how's the performance? Is it good? Any review on it would be good, it would be great if it is an in depth review like this Sun Joe SPX3000 Review I recently bought.

Last edited:

Napalm

Did you try 35s with the 3.73, how's the performance? Is it good?

35s on 3.73s isn’t that bad. You won’t be breaking any land speed records and our cornering Corvettes, but it’s certainly livable. I’d say try it, and if it’s not good enough, then save up for a regear.

Here it is in my 2015
IMG_0816.JPG

35s on my 3.21s on a 2016. I did not care for this!
IMG_2209.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Did you try 35s with the 3.73, how's the performance? Is it good?

That’s what I’m running right now. It’s terrible on any incline. Straight highway is really good I can do close to 80mph and have 2k rpm but man get to any incline and truckers could be passing you haha [emoji23].

darrylK

I have a ‘12 JKUR with AEV Savegre wheels on BFG KO 315/70R17 Tires and am running 3.73 gears. The wheels have 5.2” backspace and stick out very little (OEM BS is 6.25”). No rubbing with the AEV 2.5” lift and 2” bump stops.

View attachment 336961

The Jeep isn’t a dragster but the round town driving is good on the 3.73’s but highway is sluggish. Would be a lot better with 4.56 or 4.88 gears. Yes, the 4:1 TCase is very nice off road in 4 low. 4H is sluggish though.

As for transferring the wheels to the JL, they are both 5x5, but some differences with the JL such as backup camera interference and larger diameter factory lug nuts. May have to use a thin wall socket.

Looks like a good set up to me. My buddy recently got a JKUR project we'll work on right after we finished installing the brake kit and cst suspension on the current truck project. I'll show him your set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom