Dynatrac Dynaloc Hub Rebuild

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Dynatrac Dynaloc Hub Rebuild or Installation

IMG_0527.JPG

I am not a professional and have never taken these apart before. I searched and could not find anything online showing how this was done other than a couple bad videos. I reached out to a Dynatrac who was unable to provide directions to me so I was doing this blind. Overall it is fairly easy as long as you take your time. Install time while doing this write up and pictures was about 45 minutes. Should take 15-20 minutes if you know what you are doing.

Tools needed:

- Rubber Mallet
- Flat Head Screwdriver
- 5mm Allen Wrench
- 3/16” Allen Wrench
- Picks
- Dykes
- 2 5/8” Spindle Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Brake Cleaner
- Automotive Grease

You may need a breaker bar and will need tools to remove tires and brake caliper. Not included in the above.

Adjustments.jpg

Bare spindle with new ABS wire installed using a 5mm Allen wrench.
IMG_8646.JPG
IMG_8651.JPG

This photo shows the seal and the first bearing already installed in the hub as I did not need to remove them. Clean the tone rings if required and back of the hub.

IMG_8649.JPG

Insert second bearing. You will need to hold the hub up in place until the second bearing is installed. The hub will want to fall until that is inserted.

IMG_8654.JPG

Install first spindle nut and tighten to 50 ft lbs using spindle socket and torque wrench.

IMG_8655.JPG

Installed spindle nut “lock washer”, second spindle nut and torque to 70 ft lbs. after torque is applied fold over ear of “lock washer.”

IMG_8658.JPG
IMG_8661.JPG

Insert collar and plate. Make sure to push both pieces all the way in. It may be necessary to spin the hub while pushing to get these fully seated. The plate needs to be installed with the dimple facing in.

IMG_8662.JPG
IMG_8664.JPG
IMG_8666.JPG

Next install spring into locking hub piece. The larger of the two. (If anyone knows the name I will add that)

IMG_8667.JPG
IMG_8668.JPG

Slide brass ring onto shaft of outer hub lock with the bevel facing in toward the axle and away from the teeth. Slide over axle shaft and into hub.

IMG_8669.JPG

Install locking snap ring. You need to ensure the entire hub assembly and all pieces are pushed all the way in to fit snap ring into the groove on the shaft. If the pieces are not pushed all the way in you will not get the snap ring to seat.

IMG_8673.JPG

Install outer hub locking plate and spacer. Flat side of spacer facing in and flat side of plate facing out. This is what will catch the hub and lock it as it turns.

IMG_8675.JPG
IMG_8677.JPG

Install large snap ring into groove in the hub assembly

IMG_8680.JPG

Install dynaloc cover with three Allen bolts

IMG_8682.JPG

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nicely done my friend!! :thumb:

Thank you for taking the time to document this and share it here on WAYALIFE! I will be sure to use it in the near future :yup:

Nicely done! Is it safe to assume that this procedure could be used with warn hubs as well or are a few of the components specific to Dynatrac?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Nicely done my friend!! :thumb:

Thank you for taking the time to document this and share it here on WAYALIFE! I will be sure to use it in the near future :yup:

Thanks. I’ve seen it done from afar in the desert a handful of times and everyone said it wasn’t easy. Was actually a lot easier than I thought. Thanks for the picture also!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Brute

Hooked
Thanks for posting this...it seems that after doing a few, you will be an expert...I will be happy to offer my hubs for more practice...I’ll see you in about 3 months, will be bringing beer and smoked salmon...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Nicely done! Is it safe to assume that this procedure could be used with warn hubs as well or are a few of the components specific to Dynatrac?

I have no idea. I haven’t seen a warm hub apart before. I would assume it’s similar but something would have to be different since the warm hubs are unlocked when broken or disassembled and the dynalocs are locked when broken or disassembled.

Looks good, I’m surprised Dynatrac didn’t have instructions on how to do this

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

They have a bunch of links but not a single one works. I emailed them and was told the IT guys email was down and they would get back to me. They got back to me with “there are some videos on YouTube you can look at.” Which he was right there are. But not a single video had this brass ring in them and that was what I had a question on.

IMG_8612.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks for posting this...it seems that after doing a few, you will be an expert...I will be happy to offer my hubs for more practice...I’ll see you in about 3 months, will be bringing beer and smoked salmon...

Ha! I would prefer a garage and some poke but I guess a parking lot in Jean, NV and smoked salmon would also work.

Rst8rox

Great job with the photos & write up. I run Yukon hardcore lockout and are very similar. I actually did this same maintenance/rebuild two weeks ago or so.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Great job with the photos & write up. I run Yukon hardcore lockout and are very similar. I actually did this same maintenance/rebuild two weeks ago or so.

Good to know. I figured most are the same. I’m guessing some of the parts and pieces are different but overall they have to be pretty similar. How often do you service your hubs?

Top Bottom