Next Mod - Edelbrock Suoercharger or Rear Dana 60

TheCols

I have a 2016 2dr JK: 3.5 Clayton long arms, Dana Ultimate 44 up front, stock Dana 44 in rear with upgraded chrome moly axle And AEV diff cover, diff skids, lots of skids, Falcon shocks, beadlocks, 38” tires, poison spyder frame mounted rock sliders, Teraflex big brakes w/dual pistons, upgraded knuckles, steer smarts steering, 4.88 gears, driveshafts, and I probably forget other upgrades.

What I would welcome your thoughts on is my next mod. At first I was going to do an Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, but I just broke the rear chrome moly axle. It’s under warranty and is scheduled to get replaced, but was thinking maybe skip the Edelbrock for now and get Dana 60 in the rear. Thoughts? Also can you do a Dana 60 in the rear and keep the Dana Ultimate 44 in the front?

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, if it were me, I would skip the supercharger and get the UD60. Even if you were to get what you have fixed under warranty, your odds of breaking it again will always be there. Also, I'm no fan of superchargers and personally, think they're a waste of money. If anything, save up for real power as in, a motor swap.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Eddies right, skip the super charger and get the rear UD 60. While your doing that, go to 5:13s. That’ll be a great setup on 38s on a two door.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
Not to mention new wheels. If going that far, get a FF eight lug 60 in back and do the Teraflex conversion in front.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bingo. You'd also gain lock out hubs in this scenario.

What is making you think you need more power? I've driven my Jeep in every part of PA and I've never been anywhere that I came up short on power. The only place I felt the need for more ponies was driving through Colorado on I-70. But then pretty much everyone else feels that way too. :idontknow:

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I'm going to go out on a ledge here and call TROLL. Kinda like the Sponsor Troll. To coincidental. :thinking: If I'm wrong my apologies and welcome.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I have a 2016 2dr JK: 3.5 Clayton long arms, Dana Ultimate 44 up front, stock Dana 44 in rear with upgraded chrome moly axle And AEV diff cover, diff skids, lots of skids, Falcon shocks, beadlocks, 38” tires, poison spyder frame mounted rock sliders, Teraflex big brakes w/dual pistons, upgraded knuckles, steer smarts steering, 4.88 gears, driveshafts, and I probably forget other upgrades.

What I would welcome your thoughts on is my next mod. At first I was going to do an Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, but I just broke the rear chrome moly axle. It’s under warranty and is scheduled to get replaced, but was thinking maybe skip the Edelbrock for now and get Dana 60 in the rear. Thoughts? Also can you do a Dana 60 in the rear and keep the Dana Ultimate 44 in the front?

Thanks!

Supercharging a stock engine is stupid and you will blow your engine sooner rather than later. A stock engine is not made for the additional stresses. If you're looking for honest feedback, get the D60 and then save for an engine swap.

TheCols

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the replies. No, I’m not a troll. I was expecting email notifications when people replied and I did not get any so I went in to check today and bingo, lots of replies! Anyway, great feedback! So it seems to be unanimous to go for the 60! Cool. I was leaning that way, but read some other articles that said was not worth it, and then was not sure if I could keep the 44 up front. Sounds like I can and all good. My Jeep is on a wrecker now headed to OK4WD in NJ, if you guys are familiar with them. They do all my work. I’ll give them a call and start planning it! Yes, second broken axle is a pita. Let’s be done with it. Oh, and yes, I will go with 5.13’s. Thanks!!

Ddays

Hooked
Thanks everyone for the replies. No, I’m not a troll. I was expecting email notifications when people replied and I did not get any so I went in to check today and bingo, lots of replies! Anyway, great feedback! So it seems to be unanimous to go for the 60! Cool. I was leaning that way, but read some other articles that said was not worth it, and then was not sure if I could keep the 44 up front. Sounds like I can and all good. My Jeep is on a wrecker now headed to OK4WD in NJ, if you guys are familiar with them. They do all my work. I’ll give them a call and start planning it! Yes, second broken axle is a pita. Let’s be done with it. Oh, and yes, I will go with 5.13’s. Thanks!!

Note that there were exceptions to installing a semi-float 60 rear vs a full-float 60 rear. the SF 60 is a waste of time and $. I know. I did it and am in the middle of correcting that mistake. In order to do it properly you will need to follow the list Fiend laid out for you. If you don't you will regret it. And don't let the shop talk you into it being a good idea to go the SF60 route either.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Note that there were exceptions to installing a semi-float 60 rear vs a full-float 60 rear. the SF 60 is a waste of time and $. I know. I did it and am in the middle of correcting that mistake. In order to do it properly you will need to follow the list Fiend laid out for you. If you don't you will regret it. And don't let the shop talk you into it being a good idea to go the SF60 route either.

How’s your project coming along?

Primo82

Caught the Bug

Op, I second this statement. Not from personal experience, but from research. Also just watched the Eddie's Moab videos on youtube, he broke a Dyantrac Semifloat 60 out there (think it was the last vid in series if I remember).

On a side note. I'm always amazed at the broken stuff Eddie and team are able to fix on the trails. I know some of it is having the right parts on hand. Some of it is having great connections to get critical parts now. Some of it is having an awesome mechanic on the trail with you. Still fucking amazing work.

Ddays

Hooked
How’s your project coming along?

Piece by piece. Coilovers are on the way. Wheels next. Still unsure on the axle brand. That'll come down to the wire in January I suppose. Would like to have several thousand miles on this setup before I drive it out West to Moab next summer for sure

TheCols

Full Float

I am going to go with the Dana Ultimate 60. Axle in a box. Comes with gears and lockers installed. Just bolt in and add oil. It states it is full float. Is there anything else I need to do to make sure it’s installed as a full float?

fiend

Caught the Bug
I am going to go with the Dana Ultimate 60. Axle in a box. Comes with gears and lockers installed. Just bolt in and add oil. It states it is full float. Is there anything else I need to do to make sure it’s installed as a full float?

No offense meant, but your question suggests you have not carefully researched this modification. A full float axle is not the same as a semi float. It’s a question of design, not installation method. Also, maybe you already know this and just haven’t revealed it in this thread, but going with a full float 60 in the rear will require new wheels because there is no full float 60 with a 5x5 bolt pattern. Unless you’re ok with the front and rear having mismatching wheel bolt patterns, you’re going to have to change your front set up as well. Either by getting a new axle, using some spacer adapters, or installing a spindle kit.

TheCols

The reason I asked is because someone earlier in this thread said make sure you go full float, when I already specified that it was a Dana Ultimate 60, which as I stated is a full float axle. I thought maybe I was missing something, but based on your response, I am not. With that said, I don’t claim to be any kind of expert at all, and I am not afraid to ask those who know more than me, and I appreciate theirs, and yours, more advanced knowledge and help.

Seahawkfan

Hooked

HaHa my bad.. :doh: Welcome aboard. I agree on the axle instead of the SC.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Yeah, check the bolt pattern. As I said early on.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom