Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel wobble sometimes full on death wobble 19 JLUR

Something EXTREMELY important to remember when dealing with issues requiring you to take a vehicle in for repairs at a dealership:
    if this is a recurring issue, you MUST use the same language when you give a description to the tech taking your car in. Make sure you keep every report they give you and refer back to in on subsequent trips back to the dealer. Use the same language if it's the same problem. And this is the most important part: make sure you read the report the tech gives you on these later visits to make sure that he wrote down exactly what you told him before you drop the vehicle off. If this is recurring issue they will try to change the wording and description so that if it comes down to a legal claim, they can say that based on the descriptions in the tech reports the issues are separate and not related. Make sure you tell the tech to change it to exactly what you tell him. They have to do that if you insist.

This is what I learned from a Lemon Law attorney when we had a 2003 Dodge minivan back to the dealership 14 times in one year

Knows a Thing or Two trailraider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post

This is what I learned from a Lemon Law attorney when we had a 2003 Dodge minivan back to the dealership 14 times in one year

Only 14 times? thats only and average of 1.17 times per month. seems rather acceptable to me, 3 of those times probably for oil changes, at least 2 time to just take in doughnuts to the service advisers and 4 times to look at new Jeeps.

see when you break it down, whats the issue? lol
    Jeep- Adult version of lego

Fresh Catch
    Our 18JLU was at the dealer for the 2nd attempt at the death wobble fix today. They installed a new track bar. So far so good🤞 I will say that they told my wife that ďcorporateĒ only allows them to order one track bar per week. Thought that was strange

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Curious how this will play out in the future for the JL, especially when they start getting miles an seeing more abuse from offroading with bigger tires. The XJ steering box would literally rip off the mount after awhile, so you needed to buy reinforcement brackets.
    Granted other wranglers didnít have that problem , JK frame is pretty stout.
    So even with a PSC box on a JL, will that stronger box start flexing the frame an inducing same problem down the road?

Hopefully it was the bushing in the track bar thatís the culprit , when I started reading this thread I was thinking bushings an how they contract an stretch with temperature change. Lucky guess on my end.

Eddie , Iím curious on your thoughts on the JLU frame?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Recurve View Post
    Curious how this will play out in the future for the JL, especially when they start getting miles an seeing more abuse from offroading with bigger tires. The XJ steering box would literally rip off the mount after awhile, so you needed to buy reinforcement brackets.
    Granted other wranglers didnít have that problem , JK frame is pretty stout.
    So even with a PSC box on a JL, will that stronger box start flexing the frame an inducing same problem down the road?

Hopefully it was the bushing in the track bar thatís the culprit , when I started reading this thread I was thinking bushings an how they contract an stretch with temperature change. Lucky guess on my end.

Eddie , Iím curious on your thoughts on the JLU frame?
    What I can tell you is that just with the Synergy tie-rod, drag link and track bar installed, I have ZERO issues. No death wobble or wobble of any kind. Everything is nice and tight and even with the old OE steering stablizers - the one before the new update.

That being said, the video that doubletapdaddy posted looked legit and movement like that is concerning. Can't say for sure if it's the cause of his DW but it is something worth bracing up if only for the kind of breaks we used to see on XJ's and even CJ's back in the day.

Fresh Catch

JU not JLU death wobble?

This topic is about JLU death wobble. Are 2-door JL owners experiencing the death wobble as well?

I am interested since I have a 2019 JL Wrangler Rubicon model with the Mopar 2" lift and FOX 2.0 shocks. After just five months I have not added much mileage on this daily-driver and am worried that the death wobble will start once the warranty coverage is over. Of course at that point I will not feel at all hindered from replacing steering/suspension components (e.g. Synergy stuff looks really good) since there is no warranty to worry about.

With city driving I am pretty happy with the Mopar lift since it feels better than stock on the rough streets we have in Dallas.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobfriesenhahn View Post
    This topic is about JLU death wobble. Are 2-door JL owners experiencing the death wobble as well?

I am interested since I have a 2019 JL Wrangler Rubicon model with the Mopar 2" lift and FOX 2.0 shocks. After just five months I have not added much mileage on this daily-driver and am worried that the death wobble will start once the warranty coverage is over. Of course at that point I will not feel at all hindered from replacing steering/suspension components (e.g. Synergy stuff looks really good) since there is no warranty to worry about.

With city driving I am pretty happy with the Mopar lift since it feels better than stock on the rough streets we have in Dallas.

Bob
    I doubt this is a JLU specific problem. More like, there are just so many more of them out there that the odds of seeing this problem on them is a lot higher.

Been Around the Block doubletapdaddy's Avatar
    The amount of flex at my steering box really is crazy. My steering box is an early build, and the dealer wants to replace it to see if it helps with the death wobble. Right now I'm waiting for the replacement steering box, a Synergy front TB brace and a Synergy front TB to replace a poorly fitting EVO front TB.

My first EVO front TB suffered premature frame side bushing failure. EVO MFG requested the track bar back and sent out a replacement. The new one arrived with too much angle at the head and does not fit in the frame side TB bracket properly. After sending pics to EVO, I spoke with Andrew. He suggested removing some of the weld bead on the TB and to bend/trim my frame side TB mount. He refused to send out a replacement. With the amount of JL front end issues occurring in addition to my own death wobble, I have no intention of trimming the OE TB bracket, therefore I'm going to give the Synergy TB a shot.

Here's a pic of my current EVO front TB.

20190831_185845.jpg

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trailraider View Post
    FCA put out a notice yesterday. there is a purge sequence the techs have to do now to bleed the air out of the steering dampers as follows

"Ensure the damper is in the correct orientation. With the vehicle on the ground, it is required to turn the steering wheel for five consecutive lock-to-lock turns at one rotation per second to prime the steering damper and to purge any trapped air.
    Hahahah. Right..... because this procedure doesnít happen every time you take a drive anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

With the electrical problems my JK has and what I read in this thread, itís highly likely an older Jeep built into a trail rig only is in my near future

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast