FE Wells & Son Co. Pipe Vise Restoration.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Not Jeep related but I'm having a great time doing it. I inherited a few tools from my great-grandfather after he passed 8 years or so ago. One of them was a really nice pipe vise. Made in Greenfield Massachusetts it's in excellent shape just needs cleaning up and a recoating. I'm taking it apart and restoring it best I can so I can actually use it. 20191030_181550.jpg 20191030_181555.jpg 20191030_181601.jpg 20191030_181603.jpg 20191030_181605.jpg 20191030_181612.jpg 20191030_181942.jpg 20191030_193338.jpg 20191030_193340.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using WAYALIFE mobile app

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Somehow there were zero sized bolts and no corrosion. My great grandpa had tons more but I was too young to know any better or to speak up about the tools and instead of getting what would have been a truck bed full I have only a handful. Back when we got the tools I remember my dad said he didn't need them. Now that I have my own mobile mechanic business on the side hindsight hurts.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Anyone have any ideas on a potential finishing product? Obviously they used some nice bake on lead based paint but I'm having a hell of a time finding something similar. I don't want to use rattle can unless I have a good bake on clear because I don't want to refinish this thing every 10 years I want it to last like the last paint did.

longarmwj

Anyone have any ideas on a potential finishing product? Obviously they used some nice bake on lead based paint but I'm having a hell of a time finding something similar. I don't want to use rattle can unless I have a good bake on clear because I don't want to refinish this thing every 10 years I want it to last like the last paint did.

You can buy a powder coat kit on amazon for not too much. You just use your oven. I’ve seen them on YouTube and they seem to be pretty straight forward

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Slimebones

First, you should find a shop with a good bead blaster to get rid of all corrosion, then apply finish.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
First, you should find a shop with a good bead blaster to get rid of all corrosion, then apply finish.
Normally I would but money is a little tight to even be doing small things like that. Naval rust jelly, a steel some Pine-Sol, and 1/4 inch chisel have been working great. I know bead blasting would be way faster but this feels more personal for me as well.

Slimebones

Normally I would but money is a little tight to even be doing small things like that. Naval rust jelly, a steel some Pine-Sol, and 1/4 inch chisel have been working great. I know bead blasting would be way faster but this feels more personal for me as well.

Sounds like you got it handled. Great to keep old tools "alive".

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

Personally I’d get it cleaned up really well and then just keep the whole thing oiled. That’ll give it a pretty cool old school look I think.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom