Rock-slide retractable steps

p38

Caught the Bug
The boys in the shop either figured I was getting too old, got tired of watching me climb up via a tire, got concerned I'd break another leg getting out of it - or all three; but they replaced the tube rock sliders with electrically actuated "concealed" steps from Rock-slide. They look good and certainly make it easier for me to climb in and out; I have not tested their durability on any trails.
Does anyone have any long term experience with them? IMG_1223.jpg

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
What brand are they looks like a Genright. My guess is no they will not last. Just my opinion pretty sure others will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

WJCO

Meme King
.....but they replaced the tube rock sliders with electrically actuated "concealed" steps from Rock-slide. I have not tested their durability on any trails.
Does anyone have any long term experience with them?

Don't know about long term experience with them, but on the recent JLX/JTX, one guy was running them and one of the steps popped out as he was hitting a rock. You can see it in the video below at about 6:07.

Untitled.jpg

p38

Caught the Bug
What brand are they looks like a Genright. My guess is no they will not last. Just my opinion pretty sure others will chime in.

Thanks - I shae that same opinion.

I'll go outside and get some more pictures once the sun is up and it warms up a bit. The sliders that were on there before were constructed of DOM and had rounded leading and trailing edges. And, they were definitely well used. I think the square edge on these new ones will get get beaten up, and I think the bottom edges will get bruised, battered and bent to the point the steps will no longer be able to extend or retract. Time will tell; as will choice of trail. The jeep has quite a bit of clearance and I tend to go slow. I don't recall being on them much at Moab, but Fordyce is whole different deal - lots of pivoting and banging on the sliders.

p38

Caught the Bug
Don't know about long term experience with them, but on the recent JLX/JTX, one guy was running them and one of the steps popped out as he was hitting a rock. You can see it in the video below at about 6:07.

View attachment 337292

Good point - thanks. I don't think they will take much abuse.

p38

Caught the Bug
OK, here's some more pictures of the sliders. The make is "Rock Slide". Pictures showing the step retracted and extended.
IMG_1286.jpg
IMG_1287.jpg
IMG_1288.jpg

jdofmemi

That is a good looking rig.

I don't have any experience with those steps, but they do look good.

How do the actuate without doors? Must be a switch somewhere.

Jack diddly

They're the RSE step sliders. I have the Gen 1. They're strong as hell as they are but they offer armor for them which I'd highly recommend. (Armor for your armor)
They're way too expensive to let get thrashed and break them. My last wheeling trip, I came down on them too hard in the right spot, now they dont come down. So they're toast. But they did last me 3 years, almost 4. (The filter makes it look rustier than what it actually is.) Lol. Good steps though, I really like them. 20191102_061157.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
I can’t speak to their longevity, but a few years back a guy in our group took a hit on his rockslide step on a rock and wouldn’t deploy afterwards...he installed them for his wife to make it easier to get in...

Jack diddly

View attachment 337292

I haven't had that issue with mine. The steps are activated when the magnet on the door move away from the sensor, so maybe it moved. But when I'm wheeling, theres a little switch you can hit to turn them off. I always made sure to turn them off.

p38

Caught the Bug
That is a good looking rig.

I don't have any experience with those steps, but they do look good.

How do the actuate without doors? Must be a switch somewhere.

Thanks.

Each side, driver and pax - has a push button switch on the dash.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I haven't had that issue with mine. The steps are activated when the magnet on the door move away from the sensor, so maybe it moved. But when I'm wheeling, theres a little switch you can hit to turn them off. I always made sure to turn them off.

Yeah I remember seeing that in the video and I was thinking the same thing like wow how did the step come down.

MericaMade

They're the RSE step sliders. I have the Gen 1. They're strong as hell as they are but they offer armor for them which I'd highly recommend. (Armor for your armor)
They're way too expensive to let get thrashed and break them. My last wheeling trip, I came down on them too hard in the right spot, now they dont come down. So they're toast. But they did last me 3 years, almost 4. (The filter makes it look rustier than what it actually is.) Lol. Good steps though, I really like them. View attachment 337328

You missed a spot or a rock at some point lol.

pop2tu

They're way too expensive to let get thrashed and break them. My last wheeling trip, I came down on them too hard in the right spot, now they dont come down. So they're toast. But they did last me 3 years, almost 4. (The filter makes it look rustier than what it actually is.) Lol. Good steps though, I really like them. View attachment 337328

Do you have the extra armor on your? I can’t tell from the pic.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom