New Axles or ReGear?

tonytony9

Sure this topic has been over discussed, so only looking for some brief feedback. I have done my fair share of reading prior threads.

After careful consideration I decided not to dump my 160k mileage (and first car) JKU. And instead, keep replacing as I go. I drive a very limited (under 7k miles) a year now that I work in Ny. I also have a secondary car/convertible for the nice months.

I will be stepping up from 33’s to 35s in the next 6-8 months. I don’t run too heavy of a setup, 3inch lift, winch, evo bumpers. I have a 08 sport, not the “heavy duty” tow package. Original axles, 160k on them. I am decently mechanically inclined with the right tools so I’ll do the work myself. I don’t off road often or heavily. I take this thing down trails to hunting and hiking spots mostly.

I want to regear for less lag on the highway. Improved conditions essentially. Recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
I would suggest just a regear to 4.88s and gusset it. You do know that your Jeep is a convertible also right???

desertrunner

I second the motion for 4.88s sounds like they would be a good fit. For just 35s and light wheeling I think new axles would be over kill. If you want to add a locker, during the re gear is a perfect time but I would only lock the rear and leave the dirty 30 open up front.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Jkratt

I agree with the others, 4:88 should fit the bill. If you were ever thinking of a locker for the rear only, this would be a good time to do while they do the gear change.

tonytony9

I second the motion for 4.88s sounds like they would be a good fit. For just 35s and light wheeling I think new axles would be over kill. If you want to add a locker, during the re gear is a perfect time but I would only lock the rear and leave the dirty 30 open up front.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for advice along with the others. I guess my concern with regearing the stock axles was the high mileage they already had on them.

tonytony9

I would suggest just a regear to 4.88s and gusset it. You do know that your Jeep is a convertible also right???

Looks like everyone agrees. Will the 4.88’s significantly improved my high way performance? At least let me get up a hill without almost flouting it haha?

I just replaced my universal joints along with my other steering components and man it handles like brand new

wjtstudios

Hooked
Much, it won’t search for gears nearly as much on the highway. Only time it will jump for gears in longer hill climbs.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Thanks for advice along with the others. I guess my concern with regearing the stock axles was the high mileage they already had on them.

Regearing will replace the most worn pieces. Carrier/ pinion bearings and the gears themselves obviously. Throw in wheel bearings and u joints and your axles are practically brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Jsouder53

Hooked
Looks like everyone agrees. Will the 4.88’s significantly improved my high way performance? At least let me get up a hill without almost flouting it haha?

I just replaced my universal joints along with my other steering components and man it handles like brand new

To be honest, I haven’t re-geared yet lol its my plan to go to 4.88s because I still have a d30.

mewaschuk

throw a torq master locker in the front while your in there and you'll be amazed what this will get for for the $$.

had the same dilemma on my jk x... ended up going 4.56 on 33s with the d30/d44 and 6spd.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
throw a torq master locker in the front while your in there and you'll be amazed what this will get for for the $$.

had the same dilemma on my jk x... ended up going 4.56 on 33s with the d30/d44 and 6spd.

Welcome to Wayalife. First post is to lock a 30 :thinking:

Subscribed.

Top Bottom