Overland & Underpaid a WJ story...

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
As some of you know, the CJ had been sold due to an unforeseen financial crisis. After working through that, I did have some cash left over from the sale and decided to get a smaller budget minded project that I could drive now and build as I go. I only had about $2500 to work with, so options were limited. But I figured there had to be a few things out there worth buying so the hunt began.

I came up with a small list of potential projects and ran them by the wife and she picked a 1999 Grand Cherokee that I found on Craigslist. Of all those on the list, this one was only 10 minutes from my house.
After checking it out thoroughly and taking a test drive, we decided this was in fact, the one. It has pretty high miles but is in great shape. Every light , knob, bell and whistle works properly.
The only major issue was a valve cover leak which the guy even had the gasket for. It's the 4.7 V8 so the passenger side is buried and just awful to do since you have to disassemble so much just to get to it.
Still, it wasn't anything I couldn't handle, so I knocked it out the first weekend I had it. Now the leaking and burning oil smell is gone and I have a nice vehicle to putter around with. While I had the covers off, I inspected the internals and everything looks great. No sludge or buildup at all.

The body has only a couple very minor dings and scratches with nice shiney paint. The underside almost looks like it just came off the assembly line. The sunroof works well and the dash and headliner are in nearly perfect shape. There is a small split on the drivers door armrest but that's it. The steering wheel leather is shot, so that was an issue. I have a rebuilt one on order and should be here in a few weeks. It has a new Kenwood stereo that was professionally installed that has bluetooth and hands free phone functions, as well as Sirius XM and a few other things. Nice that it works with all the steering wheel controls. Other than that, it will be just deciding which direction I want to go with it.

I feel like I got a good deal and I guess that's what matters. I think the only thing it doesn't have that I wish it did is the 231 transfer case. I believe I can make the 247 work though. And it does at least have the weird Dana 44A rearend. I'm feeling the overland/camping look would work best for me right now and it's what I want to use it for anyway. It's too hard/expensive to go big with these things, or so my research says. I think a 32-33 inch tire should be plenty on this rig anyhow. We'll see what happens.

At least it's a Jeep and, knowing me, I'll have another more intense toy sometime down the road.

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Awesome find. Looks clean. Mine has the 247 tcase and rear 44a and has taken me tons of cool places just fine even with larger tires. There's a guy on eBay that sells color matching armrest covers that work great. Both of mine were cracked as well.

Ddays

Hooked
Wow, that thing is amazingly clean. Looks like a great find. I'm sure you'll have a blast with it.

wjtstudios

Hooked
That is so clean! Congrats! We can’t find anything that unsalted in 500 miles of me!

That’s going to be a great project! Can’t wait to see where you take it.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

littlebeas

Nice find!! You can’t find one that clean more than year old around here.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Wow. Look at that virgin undercarriage without a spec of rust or dirt. Like I get your in Arizona but I’m still trying to understand how it is still factory clean underneath it.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Awesome find. Looks clean. Mine has the 247 tcase and rear 44a and has taken me tons of cool places just fine even with larger tires. There's a guy on eBay that sells color matching armrest covers that work great. Both of mine were cracked as well.

Good info! I'll definitely check into the armrest covers.

Wow, that thing is amazingly clean. Looks like a great find. I'm sure you'll have a blast with it.

Thanks!

That is so clean! Congrats! We can’t find anything that unsalted in 500 miles of me!

That’s going to be a great project! Can’t wait to see where you take it.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I do have a few ideas. Nothing too crazy... at least by my standards. :D

Nice find!! You can’t find one that clean more than year old around here.

I was a little shocked myself when I crawled under it for the first time.

Wow. Look at that virgin undercarriage without a spec of rust or dirt. Like I get your in Arizona but I’m still trying to understand how it is still factory clean underneath it.

The lady who owned it kept it washed and in a garage all the time. It was really meticulously maintained and has never been off road. The off road part is going to change, LOL.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
A little something got done at least.

After doing some research, I found that lots of people recommend moving the windshield washer reservoir because it is in a bad location and prone to damage. I could see why as it's in the fenderwell behind the front bumper on the drivers side. Bigger tires meets washer tank and scrunch goes the tank.

I found a link that WJCO put in another WJ build thread and ordered a ZJ tank. I had to mount it further toward the front than some others have because of a bunch of emissions stuff that is in the way. That meant I had to figure out a different set up for my air filter because it takes up a bunch of space and is right in the way of where I needed the tank to go.

Basically, I just removed the box that contains the stock filter and reinstalled the connecting tube backwards so the flex end was on the other side. It was the perfect size (once squeezed to a round shape) to put a piece of aluminum tube I had lying around , and then a simple cone filter. If it flops around too much, then I'll rig up a small L-bracket between the inner wheel well and the hose clamp on the filter. So far It's not an issue and I don't hear any rattling.

The main reason I did this was because I will be changing the front bumper which exposes the tank even more so I just wanted to get it out of the way. I also did a preliminary trim on the front wheel well liners. I can trim some more, if whatever bumper I get warrants it. Pic for that is sideways, but it get the idea across.
I need to be good with trimming because for sure I will be doing a set of Bushwacker Cut-Out Flares. Those are on my Christmas list.

STOCK:
IMG_0127.jpg

AND AFTER:
IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

TRIMMING:
IMG_0130.jpg

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Steering Wheel

Well , I needed a new steering wheel because I hate the cheap autozone covers. Hard to tell in the pics but mine was sticky and really loose/squishy under the worn out leather... simply poor condition. The rest of the interior is so nice that it felt like someone put a shit wheel in from another Jeep just for giggles.
I found a place online that did refurb wheels for about $250 and they are similar to the Overland series style so I went that way.
The problem was they were very clear that it was a non-refundable custom made piece, and it's not quite right. It doesn't fit properly at the bottom where the airbag meets the wheel, otherwise quality is really good. I'd be pissed if it wasn't for the fact it's still WAY better than it was, and the purpose of this Jeep is mostly just trail riding and exploring/camping. So it doesn't have to be perfect. I did look online to see if the airbag was different in other model years, but didn't see a change. If I do find one that fits right then I'll replace the bag, otherwise I'll live with it.

BEFORE
IMG_0117.jpg

AFTER
IMG_0150.jpg

THE ISSUE OF FITMENT
IMG_0151.jpg

I also got some quarter armor to install over Christmas week. I had to burn up extra vacation time and need something to do while the wife is at work.
I'll have it powder-coated later, probably in matte black. I'll throw in a pic of what it will look like installed on another WJ.

IMG_0152.jpg

35282528_1829897307069129_5938180345605128192_n.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
The fit doesn’t look bad, but I get it. Nicely done.

That corner armor looks good on, let the build begin!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jdofmemi

Nice wheel, but for the fit there.

Disappointing for the price, but still much better than before.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Tires!

Well, look at that! I actually got something for the WJ. 265 75 R16's They measure 31.65 tall and 10.51 wide. Some call it a 31, some call it a 32. Either way I'm good.
I still need wheels and a 4 inch lift. Should be good for all that in the next two months or so. Then I'll work toward a winch bumper and a new Warn. I really like the new EVO 8-S for this Jeep.
Obviously this will be a smaller build and on a tighter budget than any before. But for what we're using it for, it'll be perfect.
Still haven't done the corner armor yet, kind of went on the back burner until I get a nutsert tool.

0.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Tires look great, can’t wait to see it up on the lift. And a nutsert tool is a must!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom