Sloppy steering after lift, looking for any insight

ssh6314

Looking for any insight.

So Jeep is having steering issues, it wanders around the road. If it's pulling left and I correct it right. It goes way to far right, even at low speeds. The steering isn't tight, it doesnt want to drive straight. It wants to drift around.

I've recently done a ton of work to it which I'll list below. I've had a full alignment and axel adjustment done at NR4X4. And am going back for them to recheck it in my hunt for a solution.

All new parts:

37 Pantagonia MTs
17in Dirtylife Beadlocks, 3.5in Backspacing
3.5 inch RK flex lift
RK front lower adjustable control arms
RK adjustable track bar
RK rear track bar bracket
RK sway bars F/R
Teraflex HD balljoints
Bilstien steering stabalizer
Alignment and axle adjustment

I'm at a loss for what could be causing it. But its scary to drive on the freeway at this point. The interstate construction where I live will bump and pull anything around while driving over it, and its 10x worse in the Jeep.
included a picture of the front end for a visual reference.

JKfrontend.jpg

Last edited:

Jkratt

I know it took a few hundred miles for my Dynatrac ball joint to settle up. The steering was differnt after the install but now works great. You may be close to lift height where a drag link flip would help.

Just make sure everything is tight or at least the nuts and bolts marked after torgue so you can see if the move or loosen.

As someone else mentioned, the Dynatrac ball joints take about 500 miles to settle in. Mine felt a little weird as well but not really how you describe. I would imagine that Teraflex need some time to be worn in. Also, at 3.5 inches of lift I would definitely do the drag link flip. It will help you get the stock feel back. Last, check your tire pressure. Ride quality is highly subjective, but with those all-terrains you probably want to run 32 PSI for the best ride.

Looking for any insight.

So Jeep is having steering issues, it wanders around the road. If it's pulling left and I correct it right. It goes way to far right, even at low speeds. The steering isn't tight, it doesnt want to drive straight. It wants to drift around.

I've recently done a ton of work to it which I'll list below. I've had a full alignment and axel adjustment done at NR4X4. And am going back for them to recheck it in my hunt for a solution.

All new parts:

37 Pantagonia MTs
17in Dirtylife Beadlocks, 3.5in Backspacing
3.5 inch RK flex lift
RK front lower adjustable control arms
RK adjustable track bar
RK rear track bar bracket
RK sway bars F/R
Teraflex HD balljoints
Bilstien steering stabalizer
Alignment and axle adjustment

I'm at a loss for what could be causing it. But its scary to drive on the freeway at this point. The interstate construction where I live will bump and pull anything around while driving over it, and its 10x worse in the Jeep.
included a picture of the front end for a visual reference.

View attachment 337462

ssh6314

As someone else mentioned, the Dynatrac ball joints take about 500 miles to settle in. Mine felt a little weird as well but not really how you describe. I would imagine that Teraflex need some time to be worn in. Also, at 3.5 inches of lift I would definitely do the drag link flip. It will help you get the stock feel back. Last, check your tire pressure. Ride quality is highly subjective, but with those all-terrains you probably want to run 32 PSI for the best ride.

ill definitely look at a drag link flip, as far as the balljoints, I drive my jeep 500 miles a week when using it as my commuter, I have 1200 miles or so on these ball joints so far

14ACES

Are you experiencing any bump steer? If you are definitely install the drag link but from your picture the track bar and drag link are roughly on the same plane. Personally, I would also add some positive caster. 1-2 degree will make a huge differnce on how it tracks down the road.

ssh6314

Are you experiencing any bump steer? If you are definitely install the drag link but from your picture the track bar and drag link are roughly on the same plane. Personally, I would also add some positive caster. 1-2 degree will make a huge differnce on how it tracks down the road.

Ive had a couple people suggest going from 5 degrees to 6, would you go more than that?

BaddestCross

It looks like your toe is off.. should be 1/16 to 1/8 in if I remember correctly.

I think Eddie or someone said in another thread that the Crapagonias need to run at 35psi minimum on the road also.

Check torque on everything suspension related and make sure the ball joints are good. Yeah, I know they're new, but TerrorFlex...

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

bouche03

It’s not the plane it’s where they mount and they are clearly not parallel from looking at that photo.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ssh6314

Ended up being the ball-joints, took her wheeling a couple times and she drives like a dream again. Had no idea ball-joints could effect it that much.

Top Bottom