Dynatrac ProFloat XD60™ Axle

jorgelrod

Hooked
Please don't tease us with just the IG Pics, come on, give us the skinny Dynatrac!!!
IMG_7391.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

EDIT 11/11/19: The following is the official press release that I received from Dynatrac. I decided to add it here being that this thread already contained an extensive conversation regarding it.
— Administrator

Dynatrac ProFloat XD60™

• ProFloat XD60™ axle provides industry-leading strength with weight savings, 40-inch tire capability, ease of installation and convenience of reusing Jeep Gladiator and Wrangler aftermarket wheels
• Dynatrac ProFloat XD60 provides the strength of a full-float axle with up to 100-pound weight savings
• Heavier and more expensive full-float and 8-lug wheel upgrades are no longer required to handle high torque output, big tires and severe terrain that every 4x4 owner aspires to conquer
• Customers can retain their existing 5 on 5.0 bolt-pattern wheels for JK, JL or JT, or 6 on 135mm for Ford F-150, and 6 on 5.5 for Toyota 4x4s
• Proprietary, patent-pending axleshaft, bearing configuration and housing design will virtually eliminate flange-bending concerns
• Patented ProRock® design provides best-in-class ground clearance
• Dynatrac sets the benchmark for quality and durability standards in the industry by leading the way with made-in-the-USA products, rock-solid warranty and reliable, outstanding customer service

Las Vegas – Dynatrac is once again rewriting the rulebook of axle strength and durability. With the introduction of the ProFloat XD60™ axle, customers can now have the strength of a full-float rear axle without the heavy weight and the need to change wheels. The new ProFloat XD60 is designed to virtually eliminate flange bending, even with tires up to 40 inches in diameter.

The ProFloat XD60 is up to 100 pounds lighter than comparable full-float axles. This is unsprung weight, further improving the on- and off-road driving characteristics of the vehicle.

The ProFloat XD60 is available with either 35- or 40-spline axleshafts. Optional high-pinion, reverse-cut gearing is available on request.

Because the ProFloat XD60 is not a full-float axle, customers can retain their existing wheels, reducing costs when upgrading to larger tires. This new design uses off-the-shelf, heavy-duty F-150 brake assemblies for great performance and ease of procuring replacement components. The brakes are 2007-current Jeep Wrangler (JK and JL) and 2020-current Jeep Gladiator (JT) ABS/ESP compatible.

The ProFloat XD60 includes these standard ProRock XD60® features:
• Dynatrac-exclusive, patented ProRock® nodular-iron ProRock XD60 center section with optional bearing bores to handle oversize pinion and carrier bearings for elite housing rigidity.
• Low-pinion, standard-cut gearing for ideal rear-axle application
• More ground clearance than any other axle housing in its class
• Best strength and ring-and-pinion gear support and stability
• High-capacity carrier-bearing saddle structure
• 7/16-inch cover bolts – cover now adds even more structure to the housing
• O-ring cover seal and hard contact mating surfaces
• 4.0-inch-diameter, variable wall thickness, lightweight, chromoly tubing has the highest strength-to-weight ratio compared to any other light-truck axle on the market
• Dynatrac-exclusive Dual-Sump High Volume™ (DSHV) oiling system to ensure the outer pinion bearing is never without lubrication

Dynatrac ProFloat XD60 1.jpg

Dynatrac ProFloat XD60 2.jpg

Dynatrac ProFloat XD60 3.jpg

TheGrendel

That’s what it looks like, says “full float strength without the weight” so looks to be semi float

going to be very annoying if that is the case. i'm hoping "profloat" isn't just another useless marketing gimmick.

Ddays

Hooked
This is what the sales manager was alluding to in an email exchange between us a couple years ago. This is his copied & pasted response:

Dynatrac is working on a possible semi-float shaft system that can handle more weight and abuse. I don’t know a lot about what is happening or even if it will ever be a viable product. You can count on us to tell the world immediately if/when we have something!

Interesting. I want to see more on this....

Edit: Looking at the pic again I can see how much thicker the flange root is compared to what my SF flanges look like. Still not interested. If you're gonna move up to a 60 rear, keep movin

Last edited:

jdofmemi

So, looking at the picture, it looks like behind the flange the axle starts out huge, and is tapering towards the bearing.

The problem is that they bend at, or very close to the bearing usually.

Everything is a compromise. To get the shaft thicker where it needs to be, the only solution I can think of is a larger ID on the bearing. That would mean a thinner bearing, ie: smaller ball bearings.

What would be the trade off, shorter bearing life in exchange for a stronger shaft. Maybe they were able to find the ideal balance.

Ddays

Hooked
We have our answer...
View attachment 337513

Yeah, it's not possible to have a FF in a 5x5 lug pattern as the axle hub diameter is too large to allow it. 5x5.5 is the smallest they can make it. Just for shits & giggles I asked if the shafts are interchangeable between the new ProFloat
60 and my SF PR60.

jorgelrod

Hooked
XD 60 Pro Float axle

Yeah, it's not possible to have a FF in a 5x5 lug pattern as the axle hub diameter is too large to allow it. 5x5.5 is the smallest they can make it. Just for shits & giggles I asked if the shafts are interchangeable between the new ProFloat
60 and my SF PR60.

You having second thoughts on going full float? [emoji23]

I'm really sold on doing a FF rear and TF lug conversion on my PR44 front and call it a day for my wheeling and 37's when the time comes

You guys suspect they will have a JK bracketry version or just JL/JT?

Sent from my GM1917 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dynatrac will make it for whatever setup you like, they will burn brackets you request for sure.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
You having second thoughts on going full float? [emoji23]

LOL, no way in hell! I'm already well underway and not turning back. I was just curious if they were interchangeable. They usually answer emails within a day so I'll post up what they say.

A.J.

It looks like the axle shaft has a bell shaped end on it and possibly a bigger bearing. In theory it would be les likely to bend flanges(less leverage) but the axle shaft still carries the weight. Interested to see more details.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
It looks like the axle shaft has a bell shaped end on it and possibly a bigger bearing. In theory it would be les likely to bend flanges(less leverage) but the axle shaft still carries the weight. Interested to see more details.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's definitely a much more robust transition from the shaft to the flange. They also mention a different flange. I thought I had a good pic of my bent ones showing the flange area on my phone but this is the only one I could find.

20190809_212905_resized_1.jpg

bkac

Caught the Bug
It’s still semi float. No getting off the trail and driving home with a broken shaft. FF is the way to go. I bet it’s still more then a UD60 FF.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Even if the infamous flange issue is solved, which I doubt, there is still the issue of the front axle unit bearings if you stay on a 5x5. They will fail, after two runs in my case, with any serious use. Did they have a solution for that?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Braxtonsag

Hope they make it work, I’d love to stay on my pr44 up front but after seeing all the bullshit everyone deals with with the current selection of semi floaters I’m just holding off. Don’t have the budget or the need to go full float but this would be huge if it’s a significant improvement on the sf60

Top Bottom