Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on My New Job

Knows a Thing or Two Clearskies's Avatar
    Takes a lot of guts to make a change like that.. Congrats

Congrats on the big change! Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks. Yeah I definitely was nervous about it. After my first shift I was seriously considering if I made the right choice. It was completely overwhelming. Now that I've been there a month things are settling in and it's gotten much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    Sounds like you made a great choice

Curious: You really have to interview for a part time groundskeeper aide?!? LOL, what were some of the questions?
    Yeah I figured a phone interview would be what I received, but no it was a full panel interview.

A few of the questions were:

1) What skills and experience do you have in this field?
    2) What tools are you familiar with and have used?
    3) What does it mean to be reliable?
    4) You are tasked with cleaning a bathroom at a park. Please describe the procedure you would use?
    5) Why do you want this position?

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jesse3638 View Post
    Thanks. Yeah I definitely was nervous about it. After my first shift I was seriously considering if I made the right choice. It was completely overwhelming. Now that I've been there a month things are settling in and it's gotten much easier.
    Yeah I figured a phone interview would be what I received, but no it was a full panel interview.

4) You are tasked with cleaning a bathroom at a park. Please describe the procedure you would use?

These should be prerequisite questions for members of Congress...

Fresh Catch
    Well I haven't been as active on here for the last month because I recently took a new job which has taken all of my free time.

As some of you knew I was an engine captain for the BLM. After 17 years (9 as captain) with the agency I was really burned out. Long stints away from home, uncertainty of my schedule, and the politics associated with my position left me wanting something else. Being 8 years away from retirement eligibility I didn't feel it was wise for me to simply quit and lose all my time vested in federal employment. Last December i spoke with a friend and former colleague who left and was much happier with his decision. So I submitted my resume to the Department of Defense, DoN. In July I was officially offered a firefighter position and entered duty in mid October. So now after a month in my new position, I couldn't be happier with my decision. Being a boot fireman and starting all over at 38 years old is awesome. Sure I'm a little rusty on my academy skills, but who knew I'd be so happy with no responsibility, being low man in the pecking order, and cleaning toilets...haha. To anyone who is unhappy in their career choice, it's never too late to make a change. Hopefully my back holds up...haha.

Its an awesome feeling, isn't it? Happy you're in a position to make the switch and get back in a spot where you feel good about your job. People do their best work in a position that they are both happy to be in and comfortable with. We have several people who are retired military where I work. These guys know they're happy NOT being a supervisor, having experienced all that while serving. I've been a supervisor at my primary job for 15 years as of last month. I have to tell you. I've considered much the same. I've got 22 years, though.... so I'll be here for another 4. I'll leave with a check. Not sure if I'll abandon this career path or look into other interests I've had over the years.

Thank you for your service as a first responder.

Congrats on the new position!

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    These should be prerequisite questions for members of Congress...
    Haha. Since you put it in that context it makes a lot of see sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
    Its an awesome feeling, isn't it? Happy you're in a position to make the switch and get back in a spot where you feel good about your job. People do their best work in a position that they are both happy to be in and comfortable with. We have several people who are retired military where I work. These guys know they're happy NOT being a supervisor, having experienced all that while serving. I've been a supervisor at my primary job for 15 years as of last month. I have to tell you. I've considered much the same. I've got 22 years, though.... so I'll be here for another 4. I'll leave with a check. Not sure if I'll abandon this career path or look into other interests I've had over the years.

Thank you for your service as a first responder.
    Yes it is a great feeling. No need to thank me. It's all in a days work...
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPLESS View Post
    Congrats on the new position!
    Thank you.

Sometimes more is a f’n headache. Congrats on the move to a better well being.

LOL, was this guy your competition?

forest.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    LOL, was this guy your competition?

forest.jpg
    If that's Forest Gump...he ended up pretty good...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast