Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on My New Job

Thoughts on My New Job

Well I haven't been as active on here for the last month because I recently took a new job which has taken all of my free time.

As some of you knew I was an engine captain for the BLM. After 17 years (9 as captain) with the agency I was really burned out. Long stints away from home, uncertainty of my schedule, and the politics associated with my position left me wanting something else. Being 8 years away from retirement eligibility I didn't feel it was wise for me to simply quit and lose all my time vested in federal employment. Last December i spoke with a friend and former colleague who left and was much happier with his decision. So I submitted my resume to the Department of Defense, DoN. In July I was officially offered a firefighter position and entered duty in mid October. So now after a month in my new position, I couldn't be happier with my decision. Being a boot fireman and starting all over at 38 years old is awesome. Sure I'm a little rusty on my academy skills, but who knew I'd be so happy with no responsibility, being low man in the pecking order, and cleaning toilets...haha. To anyone who is unhappy in their career choice, it's never too late to make a change. Hopefully my back holds up...haha.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Congrats!

"Pro Deo et Patria"
    "Pro Deo et Patria"

Glad to hear it's working out for you
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

This is awesome, I am sure this decision not only made you happier but also younger

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I know that feeling. I have been driving trucks for 26 years now and I don't want to do this anymore but because of my age and that's all I have done nobody will hire me other than trucking companies

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jesse3638 View Post
    Well I haven't been as active on here for the last month because I recently took a new job which has taken all of my free time.

As some of you knew I was an engine captain for the BLM. After 17 years (9 as captain) with the agency I was really burned out. Long stints away from home, uncertainty of my schedule, and the politics associated with my position left me wanting something else. Being 8 years away from retirement eligibility I didn't feel it was wise for me to simply quit and lose all my time vested in federal employment. Last December i spoke with a friend and former colleague who left and was much happier with his decision. So I submitted my resume to the Department of Defense, DoN. In July I was officially offered a firefighter position and entered duty in mid October. So now after a month in my new position, I couldn't be happier with my decision. Being a boot fireman and starting all over at 38 years old is awesome. Sure I'm a little rusty on my academy skills, but who knew I'd be so happy with no responsibility, being low man in the pecking order, and cleaning toilets...haha. To anyone who is unhappy in their career choice, it's never too late to make a change. Hopefully my back holds up...haha.

Awesome man! Happy your choice worked out for you. I've been seriously thinking about quitting my job and starting an electrician apprenticeship... I hate corporate politics and I'm to the point I'd rather work for myself. I just hate taking a pay cut at this age. I'm 37, so pretty close to your age...

Thanks everyone. It was definitely a risk. My comfy position where I had all the freedom I wanted, now to staying on my toes and knowing "nothing". Financially I had been cutting back over the years and not working as much OT so it wasn't a huge pay cut. It will pay off in the long run though. I will have a lot of free time so I plan on going to school for business Management and accounting. I also just interviewed with my town as a part time grounds keeper aid..haha. I enjoy giving back to my community.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse3638 View Post
    Thanks everyone. It was definitely a risk. My comfy position where I had all the freedom I wanted, now to staying on my toes and knowing "nothing". Financially I had been cutting back over the years and not working as much OT so it wasn't a huge pay cut. It will pay off in the long run though. I will have a lot of free time so I plan on going to school for business Management and accounting. I also just interviewed with my town as a part time grounds keeper aid..haha. I enjoy giving back to my community.

Sounds like you made a great choice

Curious: You really have to interview for a part time groundskeeper aide?!? LOL, what were some of the questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    Sounds like you made a great choice

Curious: You really have to interview for a part time groundskeeper aide?!? LOL, what were some of the questions?
    Probably showed him a photo of a broom and asked what it was.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Congrats on having the courage to change lanes...your new profession is not without risk, being in CA; please be safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast