Help with Electrical gremlins??

Tatrhed

The following has happened over the course of about a month. It’s a 2007 2 door X with 6MT.

First it the driver side acted like a bulb was out (blinker flashing faster). All the bulbs were good. Then randomly started working again. Next the Passenger side. Same thing, but started working again during the same trip without turning off the car. It continued intermittently and thought it might be in the mechanism in the steering column.

A few weeks later I was driving and radio cut completely out for about a second then came back on. It has happened twice since.

A few weeks after that I went to turn start the Jeep and didn’t even get a click like the battery was completely dead but lights were on the dash. Realized, tried again and it fired right up. When it did the clock was at 12:00 like the battery had been disconnected. It has done a few times since. There is a small bit of corrosion on the terminal but not near enough to cause these issues.

Yesterday I tried the second time, nothing. Try a third time and the windshield wipers turn in but stop halfway back down. Finally get it to start and it dies about the time it sets in for isles (a few seconds). Try again. Starts and dies. Start it and give it some gas. Tach hits ~2200 (engine sounds good) and it dies. Try one last time and same thing.

Initially I thought it was a loose ground or something. Now I think it might be the ECM. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

First check battery terminals are clean and tight. Next is the clockspring recall. And most likely the TIPM is beginning to go.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked
Hope it’s the battery, definitely start there. Have it tested and rule it out. Then move on down the line.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Tatrhed

First check battery terminals are clean and tight. Next is the clockspring recall. And most likely the TIPM is beginning to go.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Terminals are good. I went ahead and cleaned them when I checked initially. I’ll contact the dealership about the clock spring. Can I replace TIPM alone does it go hand ind hand with another computer module? And thank you!

Slimebones

Terminals are good. I went ahead and cleaned them when I checked initially. I’ll contact the dealership about the clock spring. Can I replace TIPM alone does it go hand ind hand with another computer module? And thank you!

You need to check the battery further than just checking the terminals for tightness. You need to have some one "load test" the battery to see how it performs under load. Any qualified shop should be able to do this for you. After this, you are free to do further testing.

wjtstudios

Hooked
^^^this^^^

I was just about to respond with that answer. Any auto parts store or service shop can test it.

You need to rule that out first, or you’ll spend slot of time and money replacing things that are not broke.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Weebz

Caught the Bug
As do I. Lost my speedometer tonight coming back from wheeling. Starting to get pissed.

Tatrhed

You need to check the battery further than just checking the terminals for tightness. You need to have some one "load test" the battery to see how it performs under load. Any qualified shop should be able to do this for you. After this, you are free to do further testing.

Do you happen know what voltage or resistance for these batteries should be? I have a tester that will put a 30-40 amp load on the battery. I was going to try and get it somewhere to see if there are any codes. I can have it actual load tested.

Tatrhed

Do you happen know what voltage or resistance for these batteries should be? I have a tester that will put a 30-40 amp load on the battery. I was going to try and get it somewhere to see if there are any codes. I can have it actual load tested.

Also, if it was the battery, shouldn’t the alternator keep it going once cranked and connections are decent?

Tatrhed

Sorry for the delay but I was out of town all week. Got it all straightened out. I was able to get in touch with the previous owner (only had 2 months). Turns out there was still wiring to pull the Jeep behind an RV. I pulled that out and there was a chassis ground that pulled right out. The wires were ran along the inside of the gram and at one point an inch or 2 from the catalytic converter. I also feel like an idiot because while the battery terminal connections were good, there is what appears to be a quick disconnect for the negative. An inch(ish) thumb wheel that was not tight. Pulled the battery and had it tested. It was shot. After pulling the wire harness for RV lights, blue locktite on the thumbwheel and a new battery, she’s running like a champ for 100+ miles.

Thanks for all your help!!

Slimebones

Batteries seem to be the nemesis for a lot of us. Seems like we want to get every last effort out of them, and usually when they decide to go it is very quick. Wish there were dependable ways to forewarn the inevitable. Count on it happening on the coldest day of the year. :mad: Glad you figured things out.

Top Bottom